Chain saw oil? ? ?

regular chain bar oil. it varies according to outside temperature.

Reply to
robson

There was a 2 week long/multiple post thread on this topic a couple months back. Check the archive at google.

Reply to
G Hensley

i prefer to use the proper bio-degradable product. i also like it cause the color red gives a better indication when you have run out. i cut (junk) in my driveway and find that the proper oil does indeed break down, unlike the motor oil which ends up all over the driveway.

Reply to
robson

I second this. I use whatever motor oil I have around at the time. Usually the oil will be empty by the time I'm done cutting, so I'm not worried about it being too thick next time around if it's still cold. Even if it were cold, enough will still flow on to the chain to keep it happy....unless we're talking -10F or worse.

I wish mine used that little. It seems to like almost double that. Has since day one.

Although you'll know pretty quick if you do run out of oil. Smoke is a good indication..... ;)

Reply to
Mark

I just got a small McCulloh chain saw, and nowhere in the instructions can I find what type of oil I should use for the chain.

The little tank holds only 1.7 ounces.

Can anyone tell me?

Reply to
Ray

This is Turtle.

Everybody normal will buy a gal. of Chain Saw Bar Oil from any Small engine repair places at about $3.50 a Gal. . The others will just use any oil that has a weight of 40 or more.

90 to 120 weight rear end gear oil works good too. I'm normal and invest in the high dollar stuff to use at $3.50 a Gal.. I have been told the chain saw bar oil is 90 weight rear end gear oil but not sure.

Also any place that sells chain saws sell chain saw bar oil.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks Rob -- where do you get it?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray

Bar chain oil is what many use. I find it gets old and thick before I can use a gallon of it.

I have never used anything but the cheapest 30w non detergent motor oil in my 23 year old saw and it still works fine.

If you are a new user be sure to check the oil level OFTEN until you know how much oil your saw uses. Most saws use 1+ tank of bar oil to one tank of gas. That will vary just a bit with temperature at the time you are sawing. It is far better to run out of gas than oil.

Reply to
Colbyt

Ray,

In many hardware stores there is a section devoted to gas powered tools. That's where they stock the spark plugs, air filters, weed whacker string, et c. Chain bar oil will be there. Read your owner's manual so you'll know what to buy. Auto parts stores also carry this stuff.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

That's the problem -- the owner's manual doesn't say. Very odd. Unless it's buried under 32 pages of warnings about the dangers of chain saws!

Reply to
Ray

D'ya think maybe the same place you bought the chain saw?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I hope you've been able to let your chainsaw cool down for a bit. Meaning that damage from Katrina is under control.

And ... I hope you don't get too much exercise cleaning up after Rita.

Bar & Chain oil is really tacky stuff. Gee- just what you'd need to not have it sprayed off.

barry