Chain saw brand

Page 3 of 4

That explains how we rate your input

Stick with the major brands, Stihl, Husky. Echo is comin along. Do not buy any saw that was sold in the 'big box stores'. Those are all cheap pieces of junk no matter what the brand name.
Best will be a professional grade saw that has a dealer near you as you _will) be taking it in occasionally.
Harry K.
On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:

there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.
www.stihlusa.com
--
Steve Barker
On 5/7/2012 11:52 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

+1

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.
If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.
If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain saw will do _just_fine_.
On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:13:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216 /
wrong
Vinny From NYC wrote:

And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?
wrote Re Re: Chain saw brand:

Well they do have trees in and around NYC.
On Tue, 8 May 2012 19:09:23 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

I don't think they allow chain saws in Central Park, though.
On 5/8/2012 7:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it. And _IF_ the chain doesn't break and slap the shit out of his arm. and and and.....
--
Steve Barker

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it starts on the first pull or the tenth pull.

Yeah, because that happens all the time.

It matters to me. They chainsawed my sternum in half, then put it back together with Crazy Glue and stainless steel wires. I like saws that start on the first or second pull. But I guess that's one of the slight differences between a good and a bad chainsaw.
Steve
wrote

I've had a variety of saws over the years I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18") It has started every time I used it. It got 5 days of sunrise to Sunset use a few years back when a Tornado tore trough a town near my cabin, and I volunteered to help with the cleanup, and loaned it to someone working with me.. All I needed to do with that one was keep feeding it gas, bar oil, sharp chains and a new bar after 3 days..
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote: ...

I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it didn't... :)

Actually at one time, it was my primary Now it's relegated to a backup role But that still gets it cranked up and used long enough for the chain to get dull at least once a year, I do that with all my tools that are duplicated. That way, I'm pretty sure they'll start and work when needed
On 5/8/2012 8:36 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

Whooosh... :)
On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:46:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

wrong

Touche. (Sorry, can't fine the little mark that goes over the e on this keyboard.)
Steve

What makes you imagine that a chain wouldn't have the courage the break on a ("holy") Stihl ??
On 5/8/2012 7:01 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

I've never seen it happen. With 5 Stihls, 30+ years and hundreds of cords of Osage Orange (hedge) cut.
--
Steve Barker