Chain saw brand

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:46:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote Re Re: Chain saw brand:

starts on the first pull or

wrong

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

Whooosh... :)

Reply to
dpb

"Steve B" wrote in news:joc4fk$ig1$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

You said it, I didn't.

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an intelligent answer to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Is interesting. In my many years, I've seen brand quality go up and down in washing machines, lawn mowers and cars. In general, US trend is to make a good product, then find a way to make it cheaper and the brand suffers. Japanese have tended to make a poor, cheap product and make it better. That's when I started buying Japanese cars when their quality exceeded American.

Reply to
Frank

The riding mowers use Briggs engines. I don't see the point of it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

"Steve B" wrote in news:joffiq$5q1$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Funny. He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in news:jogidn$cg7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Doug Miller

Interesting He's a thief too...

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

You're right, Doug. You're always right. I mean, you wrote it, so it must be right. And you just keep on sawing two branches a year with your little saw, there. Anyone who cuts more than a cord a winter knows the real skinny about chain saws. The rest are just occasional users, and any old thing will work.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a refurbished Sears 42cc 18" chain saw, that I bought 17 years ago for about $60 (if memory serves) Have kept it in a case in the back of the pickup for about 5 years year round. Used it to salvage firewood and interesting lumber for a friend who carves and makes bowls. I still have it and it still works GO figure Just the savings on buying that "cheap' saw paid for a bunch of other saws I bought in the following years. Many of those have been passed on to good homes where they are appreciated, even though they are not Stihls..

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

"Steve B" wrote in news:joglkg$7ao$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

If you only cut a cord a year, you wasted your money.

FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord, definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

Conclusion: you're FOS.

Reply to
Doug Miller

about 60 years

termites. After

been over a cord,

bought at Lowe's

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box store. It's all junk, in my experience.

Reply to
MARK O'MARA

MARK O'MARA store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it away.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Amazing. I'd heard such things, but today took the time to search it on the net.

Interesting, article says Levi Strauss has a cheaper line of clothes that go to Walmart. So, maybe Levis from other stores are higher price, but better quality?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That is what I love about things. You can choose what you want. Shit or good products.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"MARK O'MARA" > about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

But wait, the omnipotent Doug has spoken. Therefore, you must be in error, FOS, and all that. You did not see what you think you saw. You did not experience what you think and said you experienced.

Are you on drugs?

I guess we both are, because my experiences parallel yours.

ALL HAIL DOUG!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Bought a Craftsman last week for $10. Cleaned the carb, power washed it, and sold it for $50. They're good for something.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Robert Neville wrote in news:1etqq7tedbe0nneu9to1501pqvo5rhpb6v@

4ax.com:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Steve B" wrote in news:jok04f$ibo$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

You're the expert on the former, apparently. Some day, perhaps you will learn you can get the latter without spending top dollar.

Or perhaps you won't.

Reply to
Doug Miller