Chain saw brand

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to look for.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about another for ten or twenty years.

Yes, I know, people will write in after this and tell glorious stories of their Mac and Echo and Poulans that lasted generations. And then there's all the ones in the landfill that people don't talk about.

Look at features before you buy, and buy according to what you will use it for. Engine size, bar size, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Meanie" wrote in news:jo9lc3$avf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without knowing how much you are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Stick with the major brands, Stihl, Husky. Echo is comin along. Do not buy any saw that was sold in the 'big box stores'. Those are all cheap pieces of junk no matter what the brand name.

Best will be a professional grade saw that has a dealer near you as you _will) be taking it in occasionally.

Harry K.

Reply to
Harry K

there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

Steve Barker

I agree with these brands being the best, but Echo are also very good. Whatever you do, do not buy a Homelite. They were always the worst.

Reply to
tangerine3

+1
Reply to
Harry Johnson

Steve Barker wrote in news:4 _mdnfQasqENBTXSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year,

*any* chain saw will do _just_fine_.
Reply to
Doug Miller

On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:13:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote Re Re: Chain saw brand:

have any idea

wrong

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

have any idea

that he simply must

*any* chain

yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it. And _IF_ the chain doesn't break and slap the shit out of his arm. and and and.....

Reply to
Steve Barker

have any idea

that he simply must

*any* chain

That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump failed and I had repaired under warranty. It only had a few hours on it. Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger lock is broken. My son bought one and it quit working after only a couple of hours use.

I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and the Poulan brand is on my s-list.

Reply to
Frank

And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?

Reply to
HeyBub

You probably got one of the saws built back when Homelight was building real, professional saws. I think the last series was the "Homelight XXX". I had a Homelite 360 Pro -. After that they went the way of Poulan and McCullough and started building cheap POS for the big box market.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

f you have any idea

is -- that he simply must

a year, *any* chain

My experience with the big box saws is limited to one. My neighbor bought one and asked me to show him how to set it up and use.

  1. Would not run. Start on choke jusst fine and die as soon as it was taken off choke.
  2. Broke the chainbrake (cheap thin plastic) handle just setting it down crooked.

Saw went back to the store the next day and never cut even a sliver.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Steve Barker wrote in news: _fmdnSdOIoVXiDTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

idea

that he simply must

year, *any* chain

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it starts on the first pull or the tenth pull.

Yeah, because that happens all the time.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I must be stupid. I understood the person perfectly.

Go figger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I agree with you on that. I bought a Husky, and although I am happy with it, if I was to go buy another today, I would buy a Sthil. And with a longer bar.

We will go this summer/fall, and gather about ten cords of wood, maybe fifteen. We are rigging up to bring home 16' logs, then cut and split as we take them off the trailer. Last year, I was doing limbing, and small logs, while the two guys with the Stihls were doing the real work, particularly the guy with the 440 Magnum. That's a saw!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

*any* chain

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.

Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

Reply to
Snake Doc

I had a similar problem, with a saw. My Homelite PS-33 works fine, and idles while I set it down.

.

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.

Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you all for your answers.

I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year. IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after sitting for long periods.

I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

Reply to
Meanie