Chain saw brand

Page 1 of 4
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to look for.
Thank you

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about another for ten or twenty years.
Yes, I know, people will write in after this and tell glorious stories of their Mac and Echo and Poulans that lasted generations. And then there's all the ones in the landfill that people don't talk about.
Look at features before you buy, and buy according to what you will use it for. Engine size, bar size, etc.
Steve

I agree with these brands being the best, but Echo are also very good. Whatever you do, do not buy a Homelite. They were always the worst.

I thought Husqvarna was just another MTD brand now. THeir mowers sure look like it.

The riding mowers use Briggs engines. I don't see the point of it.
Greg

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without knowing how much you are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.
On May 8, 5:59am, "Stormin Mormon"

You probably got one of the saws built back when Homelight was building real, professional saws. I think the last series was the "Homelight XXX". I had a Homelite 360 Pro -. After that they went the way of Poulan and McCullough and started building cheap POS for the big box market.
Harry K

I must be stupid. I understood the person perfectly.
Go figger.
Steve

You said it, I didn't.

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an intelligent answer to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that.

Funny. He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/c90032f0c3de736c?dmode=source

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/msg/c90032f0c3de736c?dmode=source
Interesting He's a thief too...

You're right, Doug. You're always right. I mean, you wrote it, so it must be right. And you just keep on sawing two branches a year with your little saw, there. Anyone who cuts more than a cord a winter knows the real skinny about chain saws. The rest are just occasional users, and any old thing will work.
Steve

I have a refurbished Sears 42cc 18" chain saw, that I bought 17 years ago for about $60 (if memory serves) Have kept it in a case in the back of the pickup for about 5 years year round. Used it to salvage firewood and interesting lumber for a friend who carves and makes bowls. I still have it and it still works GO figure Just the savings on buying that "cheap' saw paid for a bunch of other saws I bought in the following years. Many of those have been passed on to good homes where they are appreciated, even though they are not Stihls..

If you only cut a cord a year, you wasted your money.
FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord, definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.
Conclusion: you're FOS.
On 5/10/2012 1:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it away.
Amazing. I'd heard such things, but today took the time to search it on the net. http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid 574
Interesting, article says Levi Strauss has a cheaper line of clothes that go to Walmart. So, maybe Levis from other stores are higher price, but better quality?
Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it away.

Bought a Craftsman last week for $10. Cleaned the carb, power washed it, and sold it for $50. They're good for something.
Steve