Chain or screw drive??

My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage door opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an issue. Thanks, Lar

Reply to
Larry B

Hi, My opener is screw drive it is almost 12 years old and so far did not have any trouble.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Screw drive can be a smoother operation. It should last a long time. Expect the tension springs to wear out in about 10 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

subject to your climate, here in buffalo ny we have a new belt model and love the difference in noise and safety response of the new opener. the chain model is incredibly noisy in comparison. ever have any late night garage door use the neighbors or kids might hear?

Reply to
buffalobill

This is a little weird as everyone's experience is different from my own. I had an Accelerator screw type that only lasted a couple of years. It was replaced by another screw type (Genie) that is unbelievably noisy, even compared to the very old screw type in the far bay of the garage. When it was installed, I commented to the guy about the noise and his response was to load the screw up with some special grease. It didn't help. "Maybe it'll get quieter as it wears in." Yeah, right.

My dad has pretty old chain type Stanley garage door openers at his house and I marvel at how quiet they are compared to mine.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Quit is a relative term. It is not all that bad though. My Stanley chair drive is over 20 years old. Can't say it is "better", but sure has been reliable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I had a screw drive opener it slung grease over the door, and you could see it whenthe door was down.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I would suggest that in all cases, overall quality is far more important that the drive type.

About your specific question, a good screw drive can last a very very long time. Personally I prefer them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Stick to the chain-drive, IMO they're easier for the homeowner to maintain . I never cared much for the screw-drive units.

Rich

==================================== Garage Door Parts, LLC

Reply to
Rich

if you want quiet belt drive is the way to go.

chamberlain appears to have a good reputation. openers seem pretty reliable and new ones are safer too

Reply to
hallerb

My ex complained about how noisy her Stanley garage door opener was - chain drive. I adjusted the tension, lubed the track and most other moving/turning bits and it is now quiet as a lamb. It needs to be relubed every year or so.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

i use pro max chain drives.have 3 16x10 insulated doors. had the pro max put in by overhead door in louisville .so far after 15 years no problems.i was goin thru an opener ever 2-3 years,craftsman hd,genie hd and another hd i cant remember with a screw.. lucas

ds549

I bought my house in 1979 and I'd guess the crappy Sears opener was there for 10 years. I've replaced the silly thermal light control twice. It's chain drive and has never failed. Noise for me is not an issue.

-- Herb snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Hey, thanks to all of you sharing your personal experiences. I have done other queries and the broad view is that they both work dependably and can last many, many years. Chain can be noisy as it is prone to loosening up and getting "jerky" over time. Both need occassional lubrication to stay smooth running. Since there is no cost advantage to either and since my contractor of choice (whom I have used before) has recommended screw-drive, I am going with it.

Best regards, Lar

Reply to
Larry B.

WAIT! The newest are belt drive. Advantages of chain but quietness of belt. Sears, I think.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Reply to
Art Todesco

Postscript:

The new door came and it was so heavy that the contractor said "forget the screw, go chain". There ya go!

Reply to
Larry B

Thought that I would mention (months later) that I ended up with a chain drive after all. I was told later that chain will last longer and that a belt drive door can sometimes be forced open if you pull up on the door hard enough. Not so with chain. So, I now have a long lasting, secure and jerky chain drive Chamberlain garage door opener.

Reply to
Larry B.

Thanks for posting this: I now plan to buy two 1/2 HP Sears Craftsman chain drive openers Saturday, on sale at $129.99 each ($10 off from $139.99!). Chamberlain makes the Craftsman openers, and I'm sure these will do the job as the garage is detached and has a regular egress door, which means I don't need the fancy keypad stuff. I'll just be getting the two remotes, the push button, and the actual opener for each garage door.

Reply to
KLS

Your welcome. Now I'm glad that I did post it!

Reply to
Larry B.