chain loose on flush valve

Have an old style American Standard toilet with tilt flush valve. The rubber plug that goes into the hole in the valve has worn out & the valve sometimes doesn't close right. On the other toilets in my house, some type off putty covers the little hole & holds the chain in place. Does anybody know what kind of putty that is so I can fix the valve?
Thanks
Possibly water putty. Dave

JJ wrote:

get two new flapper valves for the toilets and fix it.....