chain loose on flush valve

Have an old style American Standard toilet with tilt flush valve. The rubber plug that goes into the hole in the valve has worn out & the valve sometimes doesn't close right. On the other toilets in my house, some type off putty covers the little hole & holds the chain in place. Does anybody know what kind of putty that is so I can fix the valve?

Thanks

Reply to
JJ

Possibly water putty. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

its not putty, its dirt/mold/mildew that is holding it in place.. just get two new flapper valves for the toilets and fix it.....

Reply to
jim