chain link fence question

When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the bottom of the fence?
The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to get a second opinion. Thanks.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

None of my dogs were diggers. I don't have any tension wires at the bottom. Never had a problem with pets getting out.

I never had a problem with diggers, but had a shepard, and after him, a lab (both about 85 lbs.), and both were able to jump/climb/scramble *over* a 4' chain link fence.

He is right
I keep running into mine with the lawnmower.
wrote in message

I've now put up 3 kennels for my retriever, who is not normally a digger. he's fine if its nice outside, but when it rains and only when it is raining does he gets sick of hanging out in the dog house and decides it time to bust out and find better accommodations. He's bent gate latches made of steel, jumped lower sections of fence, and squeezed under fencing that I could not slide a sheet of paper under. The only thing that I've found to work is a trench of concrete about 3 inches wide & deep running the length of the fence. He knows he can't dig thru the concrete. I'd skip the tension wire, as if the dog wants out, he'll dig deep enough to get under no matter how tight that fence is. I've also had to concrete under the doors/ gates too as those are the first places he normally tries to escape.
Dave

I would suggest getting it. Todays dog might not be a digger, but what about the dog you aquire next week?

Your contractor is right. I doubt you need it.
But why don't you just ask him if there is any reason the wire can't be added at a later date if it is needed. You might also ask a ballpark cost in today's dollars of adding it to an existing fence. Understand that this price is meaningless 30 days from now.
Colbyt

That's what I have decided to do. If I need it later, I will get it. It's not an outrageous amount of money to add it later, if need be.
--
"I ain\'t evil, I\'m just good lookin\'..."

TD> That's the part that I keep coming back to. My dog now isn't a TD> digger, but I usually never get the same kind of dog twice in a TD> row, so I can't really say for sure what kind I'll get next time.
> How much extra money are you talking about for the wire?
TD> The fence will be about $2200, and the wire adds another $200, so TD> it's not like it's an outrageous amount of money.
For the extra $200 I would go for it. Consider your current and next dogs aren't diggers, but perhaps the _neighbiour's_ dog is.
Barry.Martin at QCONline,COM
... If cars have CARburetors, what do they use on trucks? TRUCKburetors? --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.46 wcECHO 4.2 The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA * RelayNet(tm): CamCat (#3041): Telnet: bbs.camcat.com www.camcat.com --- RIME To Usenet Gateway @ 10/22/2005 1:33:56 PM ---
-