chain link fence

Hi I want to put a chain link fence with a gate in one side of my house, please see this picture

how much does it cost? (it is 60 f long (approximately) and 4 feet height) one company is asking for $1240 (Toronto, Ontario) with 2 End Posts, 1 Corner/Straining Post, 1 Gate. Mesh 2x9 black, Frame: galvanized

Material cost $470 Installation: 60 f fence and gate $490

3 cementing/posts/flanged = $140
  • taxes

is that too expensive? i was not thinking about $1250, i was hoping less than that? how much it should cost (an average)

Thanks as always.

Reply to
leza wang

see this picture

that? how much it should cost (an average)

Hi, If you install yourself. ~500 dollars. Other than that, can't answer your question. You say you were not expecting $1250 so answered it yourself = expensive.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ase see this picture

than that? how much it should cost (an average)

If you want a chain link fence, I hope you don?t live in Southern Califor nia because many cities are forcing home owners to remove it.

Reply to
recyclebinned

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Now why on earth would they do that?

Reply to
Tegger

You can install a fence by yourself is easy and it will be cheaper. I think company quoted you an expensive price so try with another company might be you will get a cheaper price.

Reply to
Neilorrick

because many cities are forcing home owners to remove it.

Why is that? Too ugly?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's California. Everything contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Reply to
willshak

ase see this picture

than that? how much it should cost (an average)

From the picture, you're planning on putting a fence a couple of feet into the street/driveway, whatever that is. It's paved and it looks like it serves multiple dwellings, not just yours. What makes you think you even own the land where you're going to put the fence? Or if you do, that there isn't an easement that prevents you from putting up a fence?

And with any fences, the next questions are what local ordinances apply? Is there a Home Owner's Association that has rules? In many places, fences are regulated as to the type allowed, where you can put them, etc. One of my neighbors had to go for a variance a couple years ago to fence in their BACK YARD, because a portion of it went along a street.

One thing is for sure, that chain link fence is going to look ugly as hell. Almost any other choice, including nothing, would be better

Reply to
trader4

willshak wrote in news:koa4v7$qmp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Which explains the CA Congress...

Reply to
Tegger

If you think that is expensive, if you cannot find your corner marker stakes, you will have to pay for a land surveyor to mark out the corners of the land that you own. You will probably also find out that the fence has to be installed on the inside of your property not on the line and certainly not on the neighbors land.

You will also find that in the Toronto area, you probably do not own the land right up to the sidewalk and cannot install a fence on the city's property.

Reply to
EXT

"EXT" wrote in news:51a8e02f$0$5936$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Chances are good that a property this old doesn't even have them, or they're long gone.

In Ontario it can be right on the line, but you need the neighbor's permission for that. It's safer to put it all on your side of the line, that way you can alter or eliminate at your pleasure.

My parents-in-law's back fence is right on the line. It was a shared expense between the two properties with the neighbor that occupied the other house at the time the fence was built. The fence is showing its age, and their current neighbor has refused permission to replace the fence. Not sure why.

I wonder about that driveway in the Tinypic image. To me it looks like the right-of-way to the alley behind the houses. If so, then where's the property line? If it's a right-of-way, then she has the city for a neighbor, which should be great fun.

I see houses that old with fences right up to the sidewalk, and even across the frontage abutting the sidewalk. There is a height restriction; it might be 4'. You can install the fence on such a road allowance, but the town can rip it up at any time if they need to, and they are under no obligation to replace it for you. Same thing if you decide to extend your custom interlocking driveway onto the apron (the portion of the driveway that's on the road allowance).

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Sounds like Leeze first needs to go to the City building dept to learn what rules apply in her case. She needs a good accurate street address as well as the property ID info, and a survey if she got one when she bought the property. Thast way the building dept can give more accurate information.

And, Leeza, be sure to get the name and ID info of the person you talk to, the date and time and where, so that you have some backup protection if there is a problem later on.

Reply to
hrhofmann

3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks for your reply. The red line that i did draw is just to explain wher e the fence will be (not exact location) if you see the picture well there is a mud area where removable blocks are installed.. that is the board of m y land. Yes i will not put the fence in the alley (can not be it is not min e) and it is used by others to drive in/out. I used to have in that mud are a trees and i just removed them all. I can not believe i got my sticks beca use of my rough drawing. but thanks all.

Reply to
leza wang

leza wang wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I see that. I also see that you have an existing wooden fence in the backyard area. So you'd just be extending that fence to the sidewalk at the regulation 4' height. I can't see the city having a problem with that or with your proposed gate.

As for your price, you need to have at least three companies quote the job. That's the only way of knowing if your current quote is good or not.

Reply to
Tegger

leza wang wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Is that a 1930s neighborhood?

Reply to
Tegger

Great! thanks Tegger, all your feedback were so amazing and accurate. Thanks once again.

Reply to
leza wang

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

How could you possibly know what codes some town in Canada has about fences?

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e13g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

Probably because I live in Canada, and have some familiarity with Toronto.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@e13g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you don't know as much as you think you know:

That is Toronto's fence ordinance which consists of

18 pages. So apparently even in Toronto, there are in fact rules that apply and you can't just do anything you want. Just for the record, it's not clear to me that she actually lives in Toronto itself, but hopefully you will see the point, as it's perfectly valid.
Reply to
trader4

da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

ere the fence will be (not exact location) if you see the picture well ther e is a mud area where removable blocks are installed.. that is the board of my land. Yes i will not put the fence in the alley (can not be it is not m ine) and it is used by others to drive in/out. I used to have in that mud a rea trees and i just removed them all. I can not believe i got my sticks be cause of my rough drawing. but thanks all.- Hide quoted text -

By board, do you meant the "boundary" or "property line", as most of us would call it.

Reply to
hrhofmann