CFLs vs incandescent "max wattage" cautions in overhead fixtures....

Page 3 of 4
But the electronics in a CFL may fail faster if they get hot due to being in an enclosed light.

As long as you don't exceed the current and heat ratings, you'll be fine.

My point has always been about the fixture and that it has current limitations that haven't been clearly pointed out.

So now you are bringing current into the equation. I'm glad the light bulb turned on.

I never proposed exceeding a fixture's current rating.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:34:13 -0600, AZ Nomad

But you and others originally omitted any mention of current, and focused only on heat instead.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I have never seen a fixture rated for less than 23W, making your point irrelevant.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nor have you ever thought of a fixture being used to power high current devices.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

We were talking about CFLs, not high current devices. (facepalm)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Included in the discussion was the rating of a fixture, or did you forget?

Will this be the 5 minutes argument or the full half hour?

It depends on the student.
On 1/19/2009 6:55 PM snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net spake thus:

I see you haven't found the right room yet, It's two doors down on the left.
--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
AZ Nomad wrote:

OK: and your helpful contribution to the discussion is ????

That a 30W bulb puts out the light of a 75 bulb doesn't matter. It's a 30W bulb. If it put out the light of a 7500W bulb, it still wouldn't harm the fixture.
I'm sorry you find this so hard to follow.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:37:58 -0600, AZ Nomad

A 7500 watt CFL, if there was such a thing would draw over 13 amps. So you feel a light fixture rated for a 100 watt incandescent will be just fine?
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I don't think he said anything like that. Your hypothetical 7500 watt equivalent CFL would draw more than 100 watts, so fall outside the design parameters.

If it somehow drew 100W (less than an amp), you'd be fine.
What part in "put out the light of a <x> bulb" don't you understand? I didn't say "consumed the current of a <x> CFL.
ropeyarn wrote:

That's what I do. They sell cfl's based on light output but wattages and heat output are much lower. I've been replacing 60 watt incandescents with 75 watt cfl's in ceiling fixtures which call for 60 watt bulbs for several years with no problem.

I hope you mean "75 watt incandescent equivalent" - which is usually 18-20 watts.