CFLs lasting 1 year or less

Anyone seeing that the good ole, much touted CFL that is suppose to last 7 years, or 5 (at 4 to 8 hrs/day usage) is lasting 1 or even less?

I guess it's still a significant savings over incandescent, but I put in a bunch of GE bulbs from SAMS club and probably 25% are dead in under a year.

Reply to
woodchuck

No I see HDs bulbs last 2-3 years, run every night on photocells indoors and out.

Reply to
ransley

You're buying cheap CFLs.

6 Years ago I was renting and had CFLs in my apt. When I bought my house, I took all the bulbs and used them in it. Thus far, most of them are still working. There have been a few (under 5) which needed replacement, but they are all still functioning. I might also add, the wife is notorious for leaving lights on.
Reply to
SBH

The fine print give the hours used in those 7 years. Last ones I bought say

10,000 hours Overall, I've had good experience with them, but never 7 years. Never 10,000 hours. I replaced one in the bathroom after about 2 years and that is never used more than a couple of hours a day. Family room though is on 18 hours a day and it is at least 6000 hours. The number of starts probably has something to do with it too.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe that that is correct. That said, i've seen appallingly short life from incandescents recently - my friend's house has had many bulbs burn out and it was built less than two years ago. A 3-way incandescent lasted only a month or two in a table lamp before I replaced it with a CFL. Possibly the only incandescents still available are s**te quality?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Mostly HD bulbs now, haven't been picky about the brands but look for the long life, 9 years if available. The low wattage bulb shaped have had the shortest lives. The others I've had very few failures over quite a few years.

Just bought some yellow bug lamps that were bulb shaped and instant on. HD also had twisties that were rated to -20 F and light quickly. They had both bright white and soft white, same wattage but the bright light was 100 lumens less. Go figure.

Don't know about GE, but my overall impression is that they are getting better. As far as LEDs, Don Klipstein notes that some of the phosphors have lifetimes more in the range of the CFLs.

I'm not convinced that some other technology, like ESL, will not prove to be a winner.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I have some 6500K 23 watters (100W equiv) outside that run dusk till dawn. Originally purchased in 2008. I've never seen one last 5 years and I've been using them since 2003. One thing they don't like is hung upside down in a ceiling reflector I've watched several 23 watt CFLs die in under 6 months used that way.

Reply to
A. Baum

I've had one fail in less than six months. Mounted upside down in a garage ceiling ceramic fixture. By fail I mean it went "half dim". Putting in a lamp, inside it didn't work any better. The same brand I bought for .49 cents works great in my garage door opener - mounted horizontal. Those two bulbs take all the vibration of the GD opening and closing. Something about being upside down and they give out early.

Reply to
Oren

How about halogens, are these in the incandescent catagory?

Reply to
LSMFT

Anyone know of a brand or standard for CFL's that start up quicker? I just put a bunch of them in my bedroom and for the first 1-2 minutes they are at about half brightness, and only reach peak after about

3-4. Would replace them if I could find one that performs better.
Reply to
cubby

The ones dying the soonest are in the bathrooms -- hanging down. Also baths tend to be on/off a lot. I really contemplated just leaving incans. in the baths, but thought I'd give it a try since the kids often leave them on (maybe motion sensor would be better). I did have one "flood" version die in

Reply to
woodchuck

HDs bulbs, their Invision brand have a Best rating at an old POP mechanics magazine article, and second at CR magazine, they have a 7 or 9 yr warranty, they are real cheap now, about 45c for the 11 watt. Its what I use and I think they are the best you can get, plus they are the cheapest. The products faults and defects are being improved every day and im happy with what you now get.

LEDs are many times overpriced, poor color, possibly poor life from the electronics and surges or heat that may kill them and have no payback established.

Reply to
ransley

Some of mine last as advertized and some dont. I find most of the failures are in the electronics. The electronics is very cheap so if they had spent the extra nickle they probably would have had a real

5/7 year bulb. I think two of the 6 in my bathroom fixture are getting colse to 5 years.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I have upwards of 60 incandescent lights in this house (three years old). The only ones that have failed were in the fan on the back porch and a couple of decorative lights in our hutch.

Reply to
krw

I have CFLs almost entirely lasting 3-plus years at usage mostly several hundred to ~1500 hours per year. Many are making it for 5 years at this rate.

Brands I use: Mostly Philips and Sylvania, and whatever the main one Home Depot has when I get them (N:Vision of "Bright Effects").

Styles and wattages I use: Mainly 13 watt spiral. Also spirals of higher wattages in more-open fixtures other than downlights. Also 9 watt "ceiling fan" bulbs, but CFLs with outer bulbs tend to start dimmer and take more time to warm up. (I know why.) Also 13 watt "PL"/twintubes in an older floor lamp that I modified to use these.

Where I see CFLs dying young:

1) CFLs of "dollar store brands", after that in my actual experience Lights of America. (However, since I have avoided L.O.A. mostly for since 2002 and entirely for a few years due to personal experience of high rate of dying young and very high rate of producing less light than is produced by others with the same claims of light output, L.O.A. may have improved without me knowing they did so.) 2) CFLs over 13 watts, especially over 18 watts, used in small enclosed fixtures or recessed ceiling fixtures, especially if the CFLs were not made for such "heat hellholes" 3) When turned on and off frequently, especially in motion sensor lights 4) Ones not rated for use with dimmers being used with dimmers not rated for use with fluorescents or CFLs - or, non-dimmer-rated CFLs being used with electronic switching devices (timers, remote switching devices, etc.) not rated for CFLs or fluorescent lamps, "motor loads" or "electronic equipment". CFLs rated for use with dimmers in general tend to be OK with electronic lamp control devices even other than dimmers, with maybe exception for electronic control systems that sense separate switching associated with the lamp in question.
Reply to
Don Klipstein

"Bright White" is a "whiter shade of warm white", usually coming up very slightly less than "fully warm white" in photometric terms. However, the

3500K ("semi warm white" in my words) CFLs mostly look better to me because they are whiter but still "basically warmish in color". Whiter stimulates scotopic vision better and warmer fluorescents are worse at this, and that makes a minor difference in "sensation of illumination" in most home lighting. However, if "bright white" appears "dreary gray", then use the "truly warm" ones.

LEDs are improving. Count on life expectancy much longer than CFLs by LED units by reputable major brands such as Philips.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Upside down in ceiling fixtures - better to use CFLs rated specifically for such hellish duty, or do not exceed 18 watts, maybe stay as low as 13 watts.

For that matter, a 23-watter will likely be dimmed by non-optimum temperature so badly that an 18-watter will be hardly any dimmer. An 18 watt 6500K outdoors at night has a good shot at being "equivalent" to a

100 watt incandescent in such duty, due to 6500K CFL having a spectrum that is used by night vision more than that of incandescent is.
Reply to
Don Klipstein

CFLs with "outer bulbs" around the tubing tend to start dimmer and take longer to warm up. Ones with bare tubing, such as bare spirals, tend to be less bad in this area.

Also, avoid ones of brands largely seen in dollar stores other than Dollar Tree. In my experience, these have an impressively high rate of being junk, often for more than one reason.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

45c for a CFL?

I'm not seeing that.

Reply to
woodchuck

IMHO the Sylvania twisties are the best I've found for that, and they have a slightly higher color temp than GE etc. as well which I like but you may not.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel