CFLs cause cancer (Really)

Page 1 of 2
"...a group of scientists warned that [CFLs] contain cancer causing chemicals. Their report advises that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, particularly near someones head, as they emit poisonous materials when switched on. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8462626/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
Or maybe it was cell phones that should not be near the head when switched on.
Whatever.

Millions of products emit chemicals and off gas when new, Thats why I eat Beans.
+On 04/21/11 09:18 am, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8462626/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
Since CFLs contain printed-circuit boards that will get warm, there may indeed be some diffusion of minute amounts of chemicals into the air -- but the same probably goes for your TV, radio, DVD player, computer, and all those wall warts that you have powering various devices.
Perce

Someone's thoughtful reply:
I've been searching the web for the actual study, or even an abstract. I'd like to know the exact methodology of the test, the conditions of the lab, if the instruments were properly calibrated, and most critically, what controls were used.
Nothing.
Did he test only one source of light, or several?
Until we can see the actual published report, this has absolutely no scientific value. This is cold-fusion.
But it shows an interesting response; people with scientific backgrounds aren't going haywire over it, people with no real training, no understanding of science or biology are going nuts.
On 4/21/2011 9:18 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8462626/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
present in our lives from different sources. If it scares the greenies, they should stick to candles.
On 04/21/11 11:49 am, Frank wrote:

'> Toxicity and carcinogenicity are dose related. These chemicals are all

But burning candles probably also release harmful chemicals AND contribute to global warming.
Perce

Frank wrote:

Further, if the greenies live in the "dark" burning candles, it will greatly increase the chances of them and their hellspawn dying in a house fire and thus removing them and their ignorance of science from the gene pool. This also seems to work to some extent with religious kooks.

Vironuts/Greenies are reigious kooks..They worship Gia or Mother Earth and their Christmas is Earth Day...
On 04/21/11 12:48 pm, Frank wrote:

On 04/21/11 12:48 pm, Frank wrote:

I have never read of any "green" push to use candles. The greenies want us to use renewable energy sources, and candles aren't.
Perce

Don't know about the pushing, but it certainly is a renewable resource. You could recycle most (if not all) of the wax. All you would need to do is replace the wick.
On 4/22/2011 6:11 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Ah, the wax from candles *is* the fuel, the wick is just there to make it burn easier. Cheap candles drip a lot of wax, that would be reusable but that's only a small percentage of the fuel.
If you use bees wax, that is good in candles and I suppose that could be considered renewable. They won't drip much if at all.

Lightning bugs? ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:37:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

PETA is going to get you.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Perhaps not, but lighting using whale oil certainly makes use of a renewable source.
.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Perhaps not, but lighting using whale oil certainly makes use of a renewable source. ************************** There's probably hefty fines for whaling. Protected species, for sure. Let me guess, you would use spotted owl feathers as a wick?
Groper Phieler, TSA Supervisor
TSA Supervisor wrote:

The point I was raising, which was evidently too obscure for some, is that a "renewable resource" is not automatically preferred.
I don't know about spotted owl feathers. Whether they would work is completely unknown, but they ARE renewable. To some, that's all that matters.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8462626/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
Everything needs a trigger.
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.

Everything needs a trigger. ========== Everyone has cancer *cells*.