CFLs cause cancer (Really)

"...a group of scientists warned that [CFLs] contain cancer causing chemicals. Their report advises that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, particularly near someone?s head, as they emit poisonous materials when switched on. "

Or maybe it was cell phones that should not be near the head when switched on.

Whatever.

Reply to
HeyBub

Millions of products emit chemicals and off gas when new, Thats why I eat Beans.

Reply to
ransley

Since CFLs contain printed-circuit boards that will get warm, there may indeed be some diffusion of minute amounts of chemicals into the air -- but the same probably goes for your TV, radio, DVD player, computer, and all those wall warts that you have powering various devices.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Someone's thoughtful reply:

I've been searching the web for the actual study, or even an abstract. I'd like to know the exact methodology of the test, the conditions of the lab, if the instruments were properly calibrated, and most critically, what controls were used.

Nothing.

Did he test only one source of light, or several?

Until we can see the actual published report, this has absolutely no scientific value. This is cold-fusion.

But it shows an interesting response; people with scientific backgrounds aren't going haywire over it, people with no real training, no understanding of science or biology are going nuts.

Reply to
dgk

Toxicity and carcinogenicity are dose related. These chemicals are all present in our lives from different sources. If it scares the greenies, they should stick to candles.

Reply to
Frank

'> Toxicity and carcinogenicity are dose related. These chemicals are all

But burning candles probably also release harmful chemicals AND contribute to global warming.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Of course, but most greenies are too dumb to know that ;)

Reply to
Frank

Further, if the greenies live in the "dark" burning candles, it will greatly increase the chances of them and their hellspawn dying in a house fire and thus removing them and their ignorance of science from the gene pool. This also seems to work to some extent with religious kooks.

Reply to
Pete C.

Vironuts/Greenies are reigious kooks..They worship Gia or Mother Earth and their Christmas is Earth Day...

Reply to
benick

Everything causes cancer. Everybody has cancer, just not active. Everything needs a trigger.

Reply to
LSMFT

Everything causes cancer. Everybody has cancer, just not active. Everything needs a trigger. ===========

Everyone has cancer *cells*.

Reply to
Nelly

I need to start a viral pseudo science hoaxmail stating in the most official language, graphics and sources that texting causes sterility. The youngsters who are products of the government spoiled education system will be so happy because they are now protected from infections.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Percival P. Cassidy

I have never read of any "green" push to use candles. The greenies want us to use renewable energy sources, and candles aren't.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Don't know about the pushing, but it certainly is a renewable resource. You could recycle most (if not all) of the wax. All you would need to do is replace the wick.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

This country was not founded by religious wackos.

This country was founded by religious wackos WITH GUNS.

And don't you forget it!

Reply to
HeyBub

Lightning bugs? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

PETA is going to get you.

Reply to
krw

Yea but The Pilgrims only had flintlocks or were they matchlocks? You could probably sit in on a history class in a government school and hear something like: "The evil greedy Pilgrims pointed their AK47 assault guns at the peaceful Native Americans and stole their turkey dinners." O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually it's sexual intercourse that causes the most cancer. Everytime someone has sexual intercourse they risk causing cancer, because if they were to produce any offspring (not to be confused with the springs used in an automobile or wrist watch), their offspring may produce cancer which in turn could spread and affect the parent or another life or life form. To completely stop cancer, everyone on earth is urged to completely and entirely stop having sexual intercourse for a period of 300 years, (ending on today's date in the year 2311) at which time cancer will likely be removed from the human race. leaving only the rat race, and the Indianapolis 500 race to be affected by cancers, which are always born on June 21 through July 23 of any given year.

Beginning today, all sexual intercourse is banned everywhere on planet Earth until today's date in the year 2311.

Reply to
Al Capone II