CFLs and dimmers

hi - Just happen to stumble cross a webpage discussing CFLs and dimmers... - but still confused http://www.dimmablecfls.com/index.html
We have been gradually replacing bulbs with CFLs around our house. There are a couple situations still to be addressed - dimmable lamps -
I have seen a few "dimmable CFLs" on the market vs the racks of "standard CFLs"
#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?
#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers" along with "normal dimmers" again - what's different between these two different labelled dimmers ?
Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL, or require a dimmable CFL ?
It might help to have a mtarix - and maybe explain any technical differences, unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....
tnx for any info & education -
Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ? Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ? 1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ? 1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

OK.............YOU ASKED FOR IT.....................

1940's to 1960's variac type dimmer Dimmable CFL.....most very smooth Standard CFL... sometimes, partially Incandescant....yes always they still die young.
HOWEVER........I go to Lightfair every year ( in USA) and ALL of the dimmable fluorescent screw in units are CRAP.................PERIOD........
they may work ok for a short while........but after less then 6 mnths they ALL fail in one fashion or another........dead, flickering, flashing.
We have purchased 9 brands (6 each) @ Lightfair AND THE SAME BRAND / MODLE DIMMER they were demo d on to put into no-charge limited testing at several small restaurants locally....
average 12 hrs / day JUNK.............and just try to get a store / manufacturer to warranty more then one or two...........
ps.............one dimmable CFL on one incandescant dimmer will last longer then multiple units as when they switch on/off (dimming) this screws with the dimmer....or add a single 60-100 watt incandescant lamp in with multiple DCFLS and the results are better....................AND YOU THOUGHT WE WERE DONE.................Diversafied Components makes (made) a NEON dimmer 3 wire goesinter, goesouter and a neutral...........I had the best luck with an old one of these.....................till the dimmer failed Hot to Neut.

In

Boy, you can sure get a lot of things wrong. My experience is just the opposite of yours.

Ive been in business 30 yrs with NO problems........if you wish to be an idiot go ahead.....oh yeah, just what is your profession? plumber?

Care to explain and relate your expierences with us? This is a topic I 'm interested in and would like first hand knowledge from people who know.

tnx for the Lutron link - So what's different about a CFL dimmer vs the good old simple Variac switcher ? And what is the Lutron HED technology - not really explained, except in consumer-speak ?
On 07/28/2011 01:15 PM, ps56k wrote:

Haven't had a chance to try one of the Lutron CFL-specific dimmers as they weren't available in stores when I was trying to find a solution (read: before I gave up and put incandescents back in all the lights on dimmers,) but IME *NO* CFLs will dim acceptably on a bog-standard Lutron dimmer, packaging copy on the CFLs notwithstanding.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Lots of info on the 'net -- try looking it up yourself. Have you even tried?

Lutron marketing text and nowhere is there a technical explanation for their HED technology, or more about the design differences between a simple high freq Variac switcher vs some complex circuit that modifies the power wave under the curve or handles PWM as used for dimming and controlling LED lights vs CFL lights. Will try a posting over in the electronic design newsgroup -