CFL questions

I have 80+ CFL's in my home, including enclosed, base up (which most are) base sideways, ceiling fans, recessed, and open (in porcelain keyless), and outdoor enclosed, some base up, some down. Ranging from

11W to 426. Two failures in 7 years.
Reply to
Fred

I run 4 100 watt equiv 6500K bulbs outdoors. Two enclosed in porch light globes and two in a motion sensor. The globed CFls are upside down plus being completely enclosed. The two in the motion sensor are shrouded for weather protection but otherwise not enclosed. They hang at a 45 degree angle. The two porch lights run from dusk to dawn 7 days a week. One has failed in the last 2.5 years. I expected that would happen, no surprise. But I repaired it by replacing the main capacitor and the two capacitors in series with the filament. It is now back in service. I manually turn on the motion detector CFLs for dusk to dawn operation maybe 75% of the time. They have never failed. I read somewhere that the base temperature of a 75 watt equiv CFL can rise to 140F when hung upside down. That would be no problem for quality rated electronics that can usually handle 80C with no problems but the fact is the manufactures use underrated parts.

Reply to
A. Baum

That's not perfectly true.

CFLs are more efficient at producing non-radiant heat than incandescents are. Incandescents produce a lot of infrared, most of which escapes the fixture.

In one experiment I tried, a 42 warr CFL heated a fixture to a slightly higher temperature than a 60 watt incandescent did. So, CFLs of more than

23 watts may overheat a fixture rated for maximum 40 watt incandescent.

Meanwhile, CFLs over 18 watts can overheat themselves in ceiling fan fixtures unless they are rated for such fixtures, small enclosed fixtures or recessed ceiling fixtures. I have seen this happen. Personally, I do not like putting CFLs over 13 watts in ceiling fan fixtures unless they are rated for such fixtures or recessed ceiling fixtures or smal enclosed fixtures.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Hey there, guess you didn't read my post about the 4 100 watt equivalent CFls two of which hang upside down completely enclosed outdoors that run from dusk to dawn year-round. The other two are outdoors in a motion fixture and hang at a 45 degree upside down. One of the enclosed failed after 2 years. I opened it up and replaced the main filter cap and two series filament caps and it was repaired. Problem with heating the base to 60c when upside down is cheap capacitors rated at 60c or under. More expensive CFLs or those rated to operate upside down would have components rated at or over 80c. At least that's how I see it in other electronics subject to high power heat dissipation.

Reply to
A. Baum

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded... I knew I was asking on the right group! (And I'm replying to myself because I didn't know which of the helpful and informative replies to tack this onto without slighting anyone).

Two clarifications: the ceiling fan lights - what makes them tricky is that they have a funky sized base, somewhere between candelabra and "normal" sized. I actually did see them CFL-icized online, but since I can still buy the incandescent ones locally I'll stick with that for now. On the enclosed light, it's one of those 1950's types of hallway ceiling lights, with the tacky little metal grill covering it. I'm guessing it's metal inside although I haven't looked, but that's what they were in my old house. (You can tell I don't use it too often since I haven't yet been motivated to drag out the ladder).

I am bummed about the touch lamps, since I have several of them. In fact I was considering buying another pair recently. Home Depot has a well mounted one that sounded handy. Glad I thought to ask about that! Maybe I'll become one of those people who hoards bulbs, LOL.

Reply to
Lee B

Is this a specification I'd find on the packaging? I've been trying to read packages, but don't remember seeing that mentioned. Actually I also couldn't find any instructions re base up/down on the packages, although I'll admit that the bifocals don't quite cut some of that small print!

And bottom line - are we talking about the bulb just failing from the heat or is it actually dangerous to have them upside down, as in fire?

Reply to
Lee B

they work fine in any position. Just put 'em in and forget it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That may be true for some. I bought five CFL bulbs, 49 cents each for a test run.

Two in the garage door opener, horizontal / plenty of vibration, etc., and they still work fine.

One I put in the garage ceiling ceramic socket, upside down and it failed in a few months. By fail I mean it was only half as bright. I've not yet tried that bulb again in a table lamp. It may work again, but upside down it had problems illuminating brightly after awhile.

Reply to
Oren

I bought some candelabra base ones at Home Depot. They seem to be working fine.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher