CFL question

I have a CFL bulb that is NOT the twisty type. It has several parallel sections inside of a glass cover that makes it look somewhat like an incandescent bulb. The glass cover has a small break - a hole about the size of a quarter. The bulb lights when plugged in. Would this be safe to use?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

It's fine.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

on 11/11/2008 8:01 AM ---MIKE--- said the following:

I would say so. The incandescent bulb shape is just a cover to make it more appealing than the spiral type.

Reply to
willshak

It is safe.

All the hole will do is maybe change the light distribution pattern a little and maybe make the CFL a little more vulnerable to cold than it was before.

Don Klipstein

The only thing you have to worry about is photons leaking or cutting yourself.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

New Hampshire

It should be fine, just keep small inquisitive kids away from it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

New Hampshire

Indoors in a place not likely to get splashed and you will be fine.

Reply to
beecrofter

Some of those photons have been shown to cause cancer. I'd take the bulb to the local hospital, and ask them to safely dispose it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope you are being sarcastic!

For equal level of illumination, most grades/forms of daylight have more carcinogenetic photons than light from CFLs including the damaged one in question has!

Oh, and hospitals are places that have a high rate of "proper disposal" of fluorescent lamps! In large part due to using so many of them!

Don Klipstein

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being obtuse.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon