cfl observation

Why do you insist that big government is behind the light bulb phase out? It was the energy advocates and a few electric utilities who lobbied Congress, made their case and got the legislation passed. The light bulb industry was fully involved too. Once the legislation was in place, the government (specifically, the DOE and the FTC) enforced the law.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

If your chandelier bulbs are the decorative type with a small candelabra or intermediate base, you've wasted your money. Those types are not regulated and not scheduled to be phased out. Only the standard 40, 60, 75 and 100 watt bulbs are disappearing and their halogen incandescent bulb replacements are on the shelves -- same light output, fewer watts and a higher price.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

CFLs generate more radio noise than LEDs because the fluorescent tube is a gas discharge or plasma and a radio noise source by itself. The electronic circuit can be another noise source. The LED bulb only generates noise from the driver circuit.

Moving the bulbs as far as possible away from the radio is the easiest thing to do. If your radio has an antenna screw or wire hanging out, connect a length of wire (wire size doesn't matter, telephone wire or doorbell wire is fine) to it an run it out a window like a clothes line. That will boost the am radio signal significantly. A proper installation would include lightning protection, an antenna wire oriented toward the radio stations and cut to optimum length.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

On 01/06/2014 09:58 AM, = wrote: X

No, I am not wasting money...The bulbs have the standard Edison base and anything else would look foolish in the 1930's vintage chandeliers and ceiling fixtures.

As to the electric costs, the lights are basically for appearance and are only turned on occasionally...just to show them off when people come over.

philo

nd the heavens. The AM stations are pretty weak, but they'll do. We recentl y installed some CFL bulbs. We have to turn them off to listen to the AM ra dio. They cause a lot of interference. Before I drop max bucks on an LED, a nyone know if the generate this kind of noise?

The LED lamps should be much cleaner. Take a portable am radio with you to the store where you buy the LED lamps and see if they are "cleaner" than t he cfl lamps. Also, you can buy a filter to put in the line going to the c fl lamp to cut down the radio interference. You can also try to run the ra dio on a different circuit. If you have 240V ac power, run the cfl on one side of the 240V circuit and run the radio on the other side 120V circuit.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The bulbs in the picture are made to mimic the designs of the original carbon and older tungsten filament lamps and have a wonderful appearance. The quality of light is the same as the original designs too.

Such bulbs are exempted from the federal regulations because they're considered decorative bulbs.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

Good. Though I ordered spares it's nice to know they will not go out of production due to the new regulations. I have a few of the real ones and even have one left that is still good...but do not use it.

Reply to
philo

But not floodlights.

Reply to
micky

My grandmother had a pointed light bulb in her pantry, when she moved in with my aunt and her family about 1960. I took the bulb and for safe keeping put in my closet fixture, which had a broken chain and I never wanted to use it anyhow.

Then when my family moved in 1966, I forgot all about the bulb until before my last visit to Indy, about 5 years ago. I was there for 3 days and went by the old house every 3 hours but no one was ever home. Plus I can't find the name or phone number. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask if I can have my bulb back.

Reply to
micky

The reproduction lights I have a rounded on the ends. One can get a perhaps more authentic one with a "nipple" on the end, but they were more expensive and doubted anyone would notice...

but yes, you should try to get your old light bulb back it's an antique.

Reply to
philo

Yes, incandescent floodlights are regulated and some types have been phased out; but manufacturers were already converting such bulbs to high-efficiency incandescent-halogen technology and so just went ahead with their plans. I haven't seen any consumer articles about floodlights for some time and there hasn't been much mention of them on this ng either.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

They are not regulated - but that doesn't mean they will always be readilly available. Having a full set or more of spares is NOT a bad idea.

Reply to
clare

Here is the pix

philo

Both my aunt and uncle are dead now and I've run out of reasons to go there. It may take 5 or 10 years. I'm dying to see what the current owners will say when a 70-year old guy shows up wanting his light-bulb back. There was always plenty of light in the closet from windows and the ceiling fixture. If everyone in the last 50 years has felt the same way, maybe they never repaired the socket and it's still there.

Their kid might appreciate it more than I. I get few guests and none who care about light bulbs. But I still want to see if they have it.

Reply to
micky

Wow. Well I've been dissatisfied with floodlight life anyhow. One of my fixtures is 20 feet up the side of my house and it's hard to change the bulbs. Are the halogen lights more long lasting.

Last time I just wanted to adjust the settings on the sensor.

I disconnected the Romex in the attic, took off the nut and washer holding the screw and lowered the whole fixture to the ground (tying some string onto the Romex to make it longer). Did the stuff on the ground and then went inside and pulled the whole thing back up. The hard part was getting that screw into the hole, so I could put the washer and I think I changed to a wingnut, on. It took about 10 minutes.

Reply to
micky

When I moved into the trailer I now have, there was a kids clothes dresser. I didn't pay it much attention, until the sister of the old residents called and asked if I had it. Sure. And, I gave it to her. No worries. Easier than haul it to Goodwill, she came and got it. I threw in the old photos that the last guy had left behind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't think the bulb would still be there, but I do recall a flat I lived in...and former tenants would always show up to retrieve something they had left behind...usually in a storage area in the basement... even a painting left on the wall

Reply to
philo

Great solution. Ah, for the days when the signals from low frequency AM radio (550 - 1600 kilocycles, oops, kiloHertz,) stations could be captured with a piece of wire, aluminum foil, tin cans and coat hangers -- worked for VHF TV too, of course.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

Great example of early 1900s ceiling lighting fixture and bulbs. The light from those bulbs was rich and warm -- lots of red like an open fireplace.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

Halogen floodlights are often rated for 2000 or more hours instead of 1000 or 1500 hours for standard halogen bulbs; but what that life rating doesn't say is that halogens are more sensitive to shock and vibration than non-halogen bulbs. When I adjust halogen bulbs in track lighting, for example, I turn the lights off when I aim the fixture so the hot filament coils don't get shaken, weld together and shorten lamp life or cause the bulb to fail. The 50 watt halogen floodlights have been the worst in that respect. Outdoors, if the fixture vibrates or shakes in the wind, that's probably going to shorten the life of the floodlight bulb.

Weatherproof LED floodlights ought to be the best choice for your outdoor fixture situation; but, considering the cost, buy an Energy Star bulb to get the strong life warranty and you have a good chance of never having to replace that floodlight bulb again.

Tomsic

Reply to
=