CFL lights flicker when turned off

In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker fai ntly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.
Any ideas?

Is this really a snap switch or an electronic control?
On 02/10/2014 01:47 PM, Senin wrote:

Hi Senin,
Do you have a lighted switch on the circuit?
A lighted switch has a neon bulb that goes across the switch and lights when the switch in in the off position. The neon bulb uses the load on the circuit to complete itself. If you are using a CFL bulb, sometimes the trickle of current will cause what you describe.
I have one doing the same thing. Doesn't hurt anything. It is in the kitchen. Don't pay any attention to it anymore.
If you don't, throw the breaker and see if it goes out. If it doesn't, you have a short somewhere, probably your light switch.
HTH, -T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 02/10/2014 01:56 PM, Todd wrote:

Oh ya, dimmers will do it too
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 02/10/2014 03:56 PM, Todd wrote:

If the light still flickers with the breaker off, he;s discovered some new type of energy
On 02/10/2014 02:00 PM, philo wrote:

Or some other circuit and it is time to call an electrician!
Are CFL's from this planet?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00:16 PM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

Assuming that he's moved the Tesla coil and Van de Graaf generator out of t he bathroom...
nate
On 02/10/2014 06:16 PM, N8N wrote:

That reminds me of something.
I bought my house from a "fixit" guy who was so bad he made me look like an expert.
The very /first/ thing I did upon moving in...was to remove the light switch that was located in the shower!

What kind of switch are you using?
On Monday, February 10, 2014 3:47:23 PM UTC-6, Senin wrote:

flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker fa intly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off. Any ideas?
Any type of a switch that does not mechanically break the circuit can lead to flickering cfls. Also, capacitive coupling between the two conductors o f the cable leading to a switch that is located some distance from the rest of the circuit can cause flickering, even if the switch at the end of the cable does mechanically break the circuit.
In my bathroom I use 2 cfl for lighting. The problem is, recently, when I flip the switch turning the lights off, the 2 cfl's continue to flicker faintly. I read elsewhere that sometimes have a little bit of a flicker still in them after the light switch is turned off, then they go completely off. Mine continue to flicker and don't go completely off.
Any ideas?
--
Yes! Go stock up on incandescent bulbs before
they are all gone.

I just hit that same problem with a hall light, but I also have two other fixtures that flicker or fail to work with CFLs. If I use incandescents the fixtures work ok so I just bought a pack of 16 60 watt incandescents from Home Depot for something like $4. I do prefer the CFLs but I need to use the others in those fixtures. I really should have an electrician in to take a look. It's a 70 year old house.
On a similar note, I didn't think the CFLs lasted as long as claimed, and one just stopped working in a ceiling fan. So I took it out,and I had written the date and supposed lifetime on it when I put it in. It was supposed to last for five years, and the date I installed it was 12/1/2002. It lasted 13 years. And they weren't even meant for ceiling fan use, which tends to have a lot more vibration. I didn't think CFLs had even been around that long but clearly they have.