CFL Bulbs And Ceiling Fans

I don't have any dimmers installed in my home, so I can't. However, if current through an LED is varied, then the brightness varies roughly proportionately. That much I do know - I have done that a lot.

It is much more expensive and difficult to make a high efficiency LED lamp appear as a resistor load than otherwise, so that is why many/most LED lamps do not dim really nicely with conventional dimmers.

However, that does not mean that either of these is untrue:

  • LED lamps can be made to dim well with conventional dimmers, either with increase in cost or a compromise in efficiency
  • Dimmers can be made that dim LED lamps well

Don Klipstein

My parents house had several dimmers like that in the 1950's. They were in the wall, but they were HUGE and made an audible hum.

Reply to
salty

Please point me to somewhere I can buy these mythical LED dimmers.

Reply to
salty

Reply to
metspitzer