CFL Bulbs And Ceiling Fans

Page 1 of 2

I recently put CFL bulbs in all my lamps, ceiling fans and light sockets. On the ceiling fans there are dimmers. When the fan lights are turned on at the dimmer and then turned all the way up, one fan light stays dim for about an hour, then will start to flicker and go to its normal brightness and does not flicker anymore. The other ceiling fan light flickers the entire time and also makes a buzzing noise. i had a dimmer on the kitchen light also and it would also flicker whenever the light was on. I replaced the dimmer with a simple off and on switch and this solved the problem. I only have the problem where there are dimmer switches installed. Why are the lights having this problem?
Add pictures here
✖
On 09/09/08 11:59 am Mr. Gardebner wrote:

The packaging of most CFLs says that they are not to be used in conjunction with dimmers. Dimmable CFL floods (BR30 or similar configuration) have recently come on the market (Philips is one brand I've seen), but they are expensive.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:12:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I found a link to one type of dimmable cfl on home depots page here http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0626049 How is it that it is not energy star compliant?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 9, 10:59 am, Mr. Gardebner wrote:

Unless the CFL's are the newer "dimmable" types, CFL's are not dimmable, they have to be explicitely labeled as dimmable.
And even the new dimmable ones are not truly dimmable over the entire range of your dimmers. They only dim with maybe the top 60% of the dimmer travel, lower levels and the results are unpredictable with flicker, etc. I have the same issue, 80% of my wall switches are dimmers so I have not been able to jump on the CFL bandwagon except for closet and porch lights.
If the govt does something un-American like make incandescent bulbs illegal, then I will stock up from foreign sources to last the remainder of my lifetime.
Add pictures here
✖
On 09/09/08 12:13 pm RickH wrote:

IMO, CFLs are merely a stopgap until higher-output LEDs become available.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

And dimable LEDs ought to be a no brainer.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Not nearly as easily accomplished as you think, Jeff.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Boden wrote:

Good, build us one to look at!
Remember, the power is from the AC line passing thru a two wire dimmer which usually needs a 5 watt minimum resistive looking load just to work. Dang current mode solid state stuff.
;-)
-- larry / dallas
Add pictures here
✖

No, it won't.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I dunnno, you may be correct. This supplier says it can be a so-so thing when using conventional pulse width varying dimmers.
http://www.besthomeledlighting.com/faqs
But I'm reasonably sure that compatible dimmers will become available when LED bulbs really take off.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

The most reliable dimming at this point is to have an array of LED's and make it so you can use varying portions of the array.
The delta from no light to full brightness is very short for LED's. That makes effective dimming tricky at best.
Add pictures here
✖

<SNIP to edit for space>

Where do you get that idea?
✖
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:46:23 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Well, Don, I think you'll find that when you try to use a dimmer with an LED, it's far from linear. You'll have to turn the dimmer up about half way, and then the LED will come on, but it will not be dim, it will start out at about half brightness. Then moving the dimmer a very short amount (with a very steady and precise hand) you will go from that stage to full brightness.
Try it, and you'll see.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I believe you on that, because commonly available dimmers aren't exactly compatible with the relatively low currents drawn by LED bulbs, particularly when you're trying to run them "dimmed down".
But, I still feel it won't take rocket scientists to design dimmers which DO work well with LED bulbs. But then, those dimmers might not work too well with incandescents. <G>
I remember visiting the Hammond Castle in Gloucester, Massachusetts and seeing good sized wall mounted variacs used for light bulb dimming in some of the rooms in that gorgeous place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hays_Hammond_Jr.
and
http://community-2.webtv.net/JohnDandola/HammondCastle /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

IIRC, either Lutron or Honeywell marketing some type of variac as a dimmer control back in the 1950s. We had one installed in our family room to dim all the recessing lighting. I'm sure it was a variable transformer and not an electronic dimmer.
--
Wayne Boatwright

✖
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:49:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

My parents house had several dimmers like that in the 1950's. They were in the wall, but they were HUGE and made an audible hum.
Add pictures here
✖
(Good thing I'm a guy, not a girl)
That first hyperlink in my previous post needs a period at its end. (......Jr.)
For some reason my browser didn't pick up the period.
So if you clicked on it and Wiki said "no way Jose", and didn't give you the "John Hayes Hammond Jr." page, try adding a period to the end of what's in your browser's address bar.
Computers...They do what they're told to do, not what you want them to do.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Add pictures here
✖

I don't have any dimmers installed in my home, so I can't. However, if current through an LED is varied, then the brightness varies roughly proportionately. That much I do know - I have done that a lot.
It is much more expensive and difficult to make a high efficiency LED lamp appear as a resistor load than otherwise, so that is why many/most LED lamps do not dim really nicely with conventional dimmers.
However, that does not mean that either of these is untrue:
* LED lamps can be made to dim well with conventional dimmers, either with increase in cost or a compromise in efficiency
* Dimmers can be made that dim LED lamps well
✖