CFL bulb in range hood ?

IMPORTANT point. Range hoods that have a switch that changes the lights from bright to dim just switch a diode in and out of the circuit. In the dim mode, that operates the bulbs on half-wave dc. The electronics inside a CFL bulb won't like that at all.

On half-wave dc, incandescent bulbs draw half power which results in roughly

1/3 the rated light output.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

I just went through the exact same thing. In a short period of time, 3 of our 7 flood incandescents burnt out. I finally decided to try LEDs. Now I have 3 CREEs in there and I'm convinced. Not sure I'll even wait for the other 4 to burn out.

Great looking light color and they work really well with the dimmer.

The only down side is the initial cost.

Reply to
Dan Espen

My back hall is very cold and when I first turn on the CFL it gives almost no illumination at all...even after a few minutes it still does not come up to full brilliance. That said...they are an improvement over the original ones.

Thanks for the info, next time I go to Home Depot I will get a few and try them out.

Reply to
philo

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
philo

I dure didn't - they were on sale with a cupon at Home Depot so I bought replacements for all the PARs and everything else the had the bulbs to fit.

Reply to
clare

I have been using CFL bulbs in our outdoor fixtures for the last several years. While the fixtures are mostly weather tight, they are open on the bottoms. I honestly did not expect the CFL's to last outdoors, but I think I've only replaced one of them in the last five years.

The outdoor CFL's are generally quite dim when they first come on, and it can take several minutes for them to reach full brightness. Especially if it is really cold outside. But, the lights are on timers, so they usually come on an hour or more before we need them. Since these lights are on several hours each day, the energy savings has been worth it.

I will probably try the CREE LED bulbs in the outdoor fixtures when the CFL's die just to see if they work OK.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband