CFL Bulb Fails!

Wife's desk lamp. Feit 13/60 Watt curly. Didn't explode, just wouldn't light up.

I see her opening a 4 pack of CFL's down here in the basement. I asked her how old the failed bulb was. She said four years, since daughter gave her the lamp.

I mentioned here my kid got us two 18-count cases of Feits for 28 cents a bulb at Menards. About a year ago. I was going to track their longevity.

Been pestering my wife because she's the bulb-changer here. She's opening a pack of something called "Ecosmart." I ask why she isn't using a Feit from the cases my son bought. They're on a nearby shelf.

She says, "I just grabbed these from the closet." I say, "What? You got CFL's in the closet?" Then, "Let me see the bulb that burned out." She says, "I threw it in the garbage." I say, "Get it for me. I want to see it." She goes and gets it.

It's a Feit that looks likes the ones in the cases my son bought. So I ask, "Are you sure this bulb is four years old?" She got pissed, and said, "If you don't quit bothering me about these god damned light bulbs you're not getting dinner." Then she went upstairs.

I go to the basement closet and see about 6 varieties of CFL's in there, different sizes, and a pack of old "special" incandescents we used to use for the bathroom vanity before CFL's. I had no idea how little I knew about my wife's secret bulb-buying.

Then I heard kitchen noises and smelled a pork roast. So I'm giving up on light bulb tracking. I'll leave it to the ladies.

Did check to see that the burned out Feit didn't match the ones in the cases. So I'll go with 4 years for that one. And that's all you'll ever hear from me on the subject. Maybe.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The FEIT's seem to be much better then the Lights of America. I won't buy anything that has LoA on the box.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You mean she doesn't magic marker the install date of the bulbs when she puts them in? And the record the data on Exsell spread sheet program on your laptop after she cooks dinner? Really? What negligence is this! I'd be wondering, now, if some marital intervention is called for?

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Not a bad idea. She's got a sharpy on her desk. The CFL's have a big white base to write on. Write the install date there.. Just put the dates in Excel when they burn out. Nah, I won't ask her to do that. She don't know anything about Excel and doesn't want to know. She's a cook, and I like it that way.

She says CFL's last last a LOT longer than the old type. Good enough for me. There's probably been studies done on it anyway.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I've marked a few of the bases with the installation date, but I'm also the only one changing light bulbs here.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Sharpie the install date on them, much like an A/C filter.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have lots of CFL bulbs but only one where I recorded the date on the base. It is for immediate illumination when the outer garage man-door is opened. It is energized by a simple motion switch aimed at the door. I checked this A.M. and it was installed on August 14, 1998. It is a sample from GE and triggers about 3 times per day and is usually on for less than 30 minutes at a time.

Reply to
Howard Evans

I marked a few but it's been so long ago I can't tell what the date is because I no longer read Sanskrit.

-C-

Reply to
Country

What a sad life. Too bad your wife didn't stick a knife in your sorry ass. You're pathetic!

Reply to
Squiggy