Certainteed Landmark TL Shingles Look Clunky

In the process of getting a home saleable, I paid over $10K to get Certainteed Landmark TL shingles placed on the roof of the house. The old shingles were completely ripped off.
The Certainteed tiles look like Chicklets in the sun, and to my eyes, very unattractive during certain times of the day. The shadows make your property appear to be a haunted mansion. Why all the hype about these "architectural" shingles? They seem to weigh a ton, and initially do not even lie flat. The brochures do not capture the clunky quality, and make you think that you are getting a smoother, more uniform product. Before you make a mistake, ask/demand to see a full-scale example of the shingles on a real roof. You might hate 'em, or you might love them.

Were they installed correctly? Reason why I ask is, I was on a job which a reputable company installed the TL and they covered the shadow line. They actually had a 4" exposure instead of the 5". The owner mentioned the company used approximately 25% more material than estimated. This roof looked as you described.
I believe they were installed correctly. The company that put them in has been on an ABC home improvement show (don't remember the name, but it has the word extreme in it). Like water over the dam or shingles over the roof, it's too late to change anything. Anyway, this roof looks radically different whether you are standing on it or looking from the ground up. That's why the photos in the brochure are deceiving. Unless someone is 25 ft tall, and I'm not, Landmark TL does not look good to my eyes.
I wish that I had studied more about the aesthetics of roof coverings, because a design mistake of this magnitude a homeowner lives with for 40 years, basically a lifetime of ownership. I'm just hoping that in 10 years, the rain and the elements will have "thinned" out and faded the shingles so they look more appealing.
On 12 May 2005 22:24:04 -0700, ollie_w snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I did a fair amount of homework before getting the Certainteed Hallmark shangles for our house. For one they were already on the house when we bought it so we had a pretty good idea of what they would look like. However, there are quite a few styles, and we did look at the Certainteed Landmark as a possible change. It was fairly obvious to me from the pictures on Certainteed's web site that the Landmark had very deep shadow lines. In addtion, while in the decision process we would note house roofs. We saw a few homes with the Landmark style or some other company equivalent, and decided that the deep lines were going to dominate and darken the roof too much for our roof pitch and house direction. However, iIn our case, the Landmark style would have worked. Our house is a contemporary style with rough channel cedar siding. The Landmark style would also have likely complimented the rough exterior. Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn /