Ceramic tiling an outside barbecue

I am building a barbecue with cinder blocks which I am planning on tiling over along with a side island. I have already been told to go with porcelain (sp?) tile and versabond thinset. What I am wondering is if using the regular grout will be fine or do I need to use some other type. Anything I need to look out for? Also in building the island/storage area. can I just frame it out with 2x4s then put backerboard over it to put the tiles on? Just looking ahead since I am having fun bricking today and don't want to run into any surprises when I start tiling.

regular thinset is fine
the only thing about just backerboard is: will it flex? you have to ensure that it won't, or the tile/grout will crack.
We are talking about an area of only 24"X24". If I brace the top with a 2x4 in the middle of the area wouldn't that take care of any movement?

i can't tell from here. i wouldn't put a span of 24" in as i believe it will flex too much, and it's pretty easy to throw in another brace at 12". is this the top or the sides? typically, the top of a counter would be either 3/4" plywood, or at least a 1" thick cement bed on top of 1/2" plywood. a sheet of wonderboard wouldn't match any of that.
sides are a bit different. they don't get leaned or sat on, so can be thinner. i'd put at least 1/2" ply on before doing the wonderboard, at least.
Thanks for the input. I finished up with the bricks and mortar yesterday. I will begin on the storage area now loaded with 2x4s, backerboard and a sheet of 3/4" exterior grade plywood. I will then have to look for some good deals on porcelain tile since evidently that is the way to go for installation outside. Thanks again.

I don't know why you would be 'required' to use porcelain tiles. Use them if you like the look.

I was told porcelain was best for the outdoors.