Ceramic tiles over sheetrock for kitchen?

We are thinking of installing ceramic tiles on the wall between the integral backsplash and the underside of the wall cabinets when we redo our kitchen. The wall is done with regular sheetrock (not greenboard). Is this a good base for ceramic tiles, or should we rip that section out and install tile backer board?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Above the backsplash it won't get enough water to really matter in all likelihood, but a little extra can't hurt. If it weren't a real pita to get to and you're doing a major remodel, I'd probably go to the trouble. If it's just sticking some tile on the wall as a "dress-up" project, otoh, I'd probably just slap 'em up there...

--

Reply to
dpb

Depends how sloppy a cook you are. Near stove and sink, I'd want backer board or at least greenboard. 4 feet away where it never gets wet or steamy, vanilla sheetrock is probably fine.

But having said that- if you are replacing cabinets and counter as part of the rehab, consider not doing normal 4" backsplash, and just having a field-applied matching material to cover upper cabinet to counter wall surface. You have to keep the lower joint well sealed, but a smooth panel is easier to keep clean than multiple grout cracks.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If you want to be sure, you could coat the wallboard with redgard or similar waterproofing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

One of the best ideas I have ever had (IMO) came from wanting to cover up our ugly, worn metal tiles behind cooktop and not have to tear out the wall. We glued a plain laminate over the metal tile, then got textured glass, smoothe side out, over the lam. Any color can be used, the glass is tempered, and it is a cinch to clean. Spatters don't show because of the texture (and I don't look :o) No way am I ever going to clean spaghetti sauce from grout :o) Got grout in two baths - that is enough for me. The whole area cost us about $80, and when I tire of it, all that holds up the glass is silicone caulk all way around.

Reply to
Norminn

The existing sheetrock is just fine, no need at all for cement backer board.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have lived in three houses where the shower/tub walls were ceramic tile over "regular" wall board.

It all three homes there were some minor failures at the edges where tile meets "no tile" but nothing that a little plaster of Paris and some "lath" couldn't fix.

You kitchen is just no problem compared to a shower/tub. MAYBE after 8 years or so you might find a "softness" at the edge of the tiled area but you can either fix it or rip out the tile because you are tired of it.

Reply to
<nni/gilmer