Ceramic tiles in kitchen

I have the laminated flooring in the kitchen and don't like it. I'm thinking of applying marble tiles in a 12 x 8' area. Should I leave the wood there as a base or remove it? I realize if I leave the wood than add tiles on top of it, makes it difficult to open a garden door. ..and yet the door is only a 24'' wide door...so I may conside cutting it at the bottom. Is this expensive and a 'diy' type? Any suggestions? Thanks