Ceramic tiles changing color

Page 2 of 2
mm,
Picture a shower stall, the door is one side, one attaching wall has the faucet, the other two walls are tile-only and those two walls are oppposite the the shower door, and opposite the wall with the faucet. The first tile changed on the wall oposite the the faucet wall. Then the next few started changing on the wall oposite the shower door. Afterwards it started to spread, only the bottom row of tiles only on the 2 walls; one of which is opposit the shower head and the other which is opposite the shower door, in other words, the tile-only walls are the only ones with the discolored tile.
The discolored tile is no higher or lower on either wall. The discoloration is in odd shapes and does not take up the whole of any one tile.
I used the blade as a scraper.
The tiles are as smooth on the surface as the 'good' tiles.
Bon Ami. Harder to find in my area, but will try to find and use if I can.
Kim

Kim wrote:

That is what I thought I understood :o)

Green 3M. I am certain that the first time I tried to attack my dirty shower floor that I used the 3M but it remained just a trace of gray haze. I doubt your problem is the same. It is also possible, I'm sure, to damage some tile with a 3M, but it was all that would get our dirty shower floor clean.

Do you have neighbors whose homes were built by same builder?

With one row of tile being only problem, I would lean toward a bad batch of tile. If water damage, the wall should be spongy or showing problems in other ways - what is on back side of the wall?

Good luck. :o)
Thanks for the info on 3m.
Yes, several neighbors have the same builder. None report this problem as far as I know.
Of the 4 walls:
1. Shower door, only one bottom row of tiles and then the door above; no tile problems yet. 2. Showerhead wall, the other side is my bedroom wall. 3. Long side wall, tile-only; the other side of this wall is some space between the shower wall and my bedroom closet wall, the space is all closed off with drywall so the bedroom wall runs across. 4. Shower wall opposite the showerhead; tile only and the other side of that wall is the den wall.
I know that may sound confusing, but that is the best I can do, I just finished connecting a dvr and darn near lost it with the pitiful manual!
Initially I would agree with you that bad tile could be it, but since it is spreading, I can't say if the this discoloration is bad tile, or water damage or what. It just happens to be that this is how it started, but only time will tell if these tiles are the only ones that will change.
I am hoping to get some contractor info/bids week after next. I will ask if they have the moisture check device before they come so I can see for myself what is going on.
In the meantime, I will try the other solutions and update in a few days. That DVR-install wiped me out! Ugh!
God bless, Kim

After several years in ceramics I can't imagine damaging tile with a 3M abrasive! Raw clay is baked at required temperature and allowed to cool then the glaze is applied and baked to a higher temperature, around 2000, and allowed to cool. A MAJOR abrasive would be needed to get into the glaze coating! IF the tile in question was made in a country NOT USA disregard above. PLEASE post when problem is resolved!

Not tile but a plastic shower stall with a textured, non-slip floor. When I bought the house, I had to apply Scrubbing Bubbles (Dow?) literally 20 times in some places to get all the dirt out of the valleys. I kept asking myself, Why am I doing this when I'll probably not do it again for years? The first and only owner and only resident seemed like a clean, presentable guy. Why is his dirt worse than my dirt? I cleaned it anyhow.

KJ wrote:

The fact that its the bottom row makes me wonder - are they full tiles or were they cut to fit?
If cut, maybe something from either the thinset mortar or grout or even water itself is leaching into the tile from the cut edge.
If whole tiles, then that's less likely.
Call a priest.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.