Ceramic tiles changing color

Page 1 of 2
Hello all,
I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.
Any suggestions?
look at your warranty and use it if its not to late.
I called the inspector and he said that the cleaning stuff I use was too harsh. I think that is bunk, since I use the same stuff sold at every supermarket in America!
I guess I am going to have to go to the next step.
Thanks. Kim

What stuff is that?

Look at my other posts!

KJ, 11/29/2005,7:36:47 PM, wrote:

Aren't ceramic tiles baked and glazed? I find it hard to believe they are fading. Maybe a good cleaning is in order.
--
"Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at
them." -- Jimmy DeMaret

You don't seriously think I would post here without having tried every cleaning product there is, do you? That's just insulting.
I have used Lysol, Softscrub, straight bleach (when I had tried all else) and even scrubbing bubbles. I tried scrubbing the tiles with a brush and cleaners and it didn't matter. Only one thing remains the same, the discoloration is spreading now up to nine tiles.
I used the same cleaning products when I had and aparment with bathroom tiles, and have never seen anything like this.
Ugh!
God bless, Kim

trickling into the more porous or unglazed part of the tile, either through the grout (could be bad grout) or leaking from somewhere else. The pattern and location of discoloration may give you a hint where the moisture is coming from. The bottom row suggests you may have a pan leak or a trickle down the wall, especially if the pattern is clustered below the faucets. If the color is brown or reddish, it may be iron oxide leached from nails or other hardware behind the wall.
Hello,
The origonal color is beige. The color it is changing into is a very blueish or greyish (almost like a shadow cast over it) and part of each tile is affected. I did notice and inform the builder of a hairline crack in the bottom (shower floor) tiles last year, but he said that the there was a [rubber pan (liner) installed under the tile area intended to eliminate further damage']. He then said the hairline crack was a 'settlement crack' and should be OK. Strange thing too is that the tiles changing are not the ones under the shower faucet but rather the ones on the farthest wall and the attaching wall. The fact that it is spreading is really gettting to me.
I wanted a second opinion before I went to my lawyer on this, so thank you.
Thank you also "badgolferman" and M Ransley.
If you have any other opinions on this, please feel free.
Thanks.
God bless, Kim

Floor cracking, settling crack? Ive seen hundreds of 100 year old houses with no cracks in shower floors, thats a hack crack, a poor job done somewhere. You don`t need an atty just be sure your warranty time is inforce, get a few bids and go file in small claim, when does the warranty expire, got any photos. Is tile still smooth, enamel is still on,, did you try a razor blade.
Hi m Ransley,

That is what I thought. The inspector didn't even mention moisture (I had to bring it up) and then he just gave the rediculous 'cleaning products' excuse. But he and the builder saw the discoloration and acknowledged it.
The warrantee expired a few days ago, but I have already filed with the state before the warrantee was over.
I will take photos, and get a few bids, see what independent contractors say. The tile is still smooth, but I notice some tiles are now further away from the wall than the others (maybe by 1/16"). I "think the enamel is still on those 'bad' tiles, I am not sure. I think I will have to tell you that one after I get a few bids, to see what the contractors say.
I scraped a razor on a 'bad' tile and nothing happened. I tried on one of the 'good' tiles and there was a little mark, which I was able to rub off with my finger.
Thanks.
God bless, Kim

soaking Baker board or floated walls. I've torn out a couple showers were the walls had moisture in the floated walls. One thing not mentioned what kind of finish is on the tiles High gloss or flat.
I am not sure what type of finish. I didn't have the house built, but rather went through a program to get it brand new (I was allowed to choose the color of carpet).
I will try to find out what type of finish. If I can (builder isn't very repsonsive).
God bless, Kim

Hello Sacramento Dave,
I think it is flat gloss (doesn't look shiny to me) but I have to check. I think it is a moisture issue too. I will post when I get more info. Hopefully in a few days.
Thanks.
God bless, Kim

you can get (or the inspector has) a moisture reader that can tell you if the substrate has water in it.

KJ wrote:

Can anybody else see the change in colors, or is it just you? Might be the mushrooms or the stuff your smokin, 8^)
Steve
--
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies

KJ wrote:

It's a little hard to envision the pattern of discoloration .. lower part of wall opposite the shower head? Floor? There could be haze from the grout, or sealer, that is discoloring. Got hard water? Tried a lime remover to see if it is lime deposits? Did builder leave extra tiles? If there is a spare, you might get the mfg. name from it. I would try a tile store - not the home supermarket - to see if there is a cleaner that will remove old haze/sealer.
I can't imagine a tile discoloring from behind, but don't know everything :o) Some glazes have metals in them that could react with other chemicals, but that is too scientific for me.
I replaced the grout in our shower a while back, and scrubbed like mad to prep for it. There was grayish discoloration on floor in center that I really scrubbed, but didn't remove. Finally got a 3M pad and Fantastic and gave it another go - finally got it all off. Just plain, old-fashioned dirt from standing in the same spot. There was also a good deal of soap scum that I didn't get the first time - mainly below the soap dish, and not very evident due to color/pattern of tile. Finally got the razor scraper and took off ton of soap scum.
Norminn,
The tiles that have changed so far are the bottom row of tiles, closest to the floor of the shower. I hope that is clear enough.
Well, I tried the razor and got nothing.
As far as the 3m pad, please do tell exactly what pad is this, since there are many, I don't know which one you tried. I would love for it not to be a water problem and just a tough stain, but I have kept a clean house for so long, and have tried so many things since this began, it is highly unlikely, but I would try it to make sure if I was certain of the 3m pad you used, and getting Fantastic is obviously no problem.
It seems you are also referring to the grout. I am not referring to the grout, which is fine. I am referring to the tile only. None of the tiles on the floor of the shower have changed (yet) just the bottom row on the wall.
The builder left extra tiles, I will look at them to see what info I can get on them, and also on any info on tile changing color.
I am still leaning towards water damage, but thank you for your suggestions, as if they are in fact the case would be much easier to deal with.
God bless, Kim

Well, no. Does it go all around all 3 sides? Or is it higher in some columns than in others? Where in relation to the shower nozzle did it first appear? In relation to the door?
This is a mystery. All clues are needed.

You said you scratched a clean tile. Does that mean you used the razor as a knife. I think the suggestor meant for you to use it as a scraper.
I was going to ask if the tile seemed as smooth as the good tiles. If not, it's probably dirt. Nothing you've mentioned or that occurs naturally could damage the surface, afaik. If it is as smooth as the good tiles, it could be a different kind of "dirt" that is smooth, or maybe something is changing t he color.
Have you tried Bon Ami cleanser? I don't think you listed it. "Hasn't scratched yet." Every household should have a container of it.