Ceramic Tile Over Peel and Stick Vinyl

I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small kitchen (100 sq feet) with some new ceramic tile. The floor now has peel and stick vinyl (12 inch) tile that seems well stuck even though it is quite scuffed up. Several people have told me that I can lay ceramic tile right over the vinyl.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out?

From a bit of searching I have found a few web sites that suggest

sanding the old tiles to roughen them up, and also to screw on the vinyl tiles before laying the ceramic ones.

What do you think? I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on this, but at the same time I don't want it to look like crap....

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
marklovesjulie

Howard

Generally in slab conctruction they lay tille on a membrane anyway. It should be fine if your peel and stick is well stuck. If you are nervous about it use flex mortar.

Reply to
gfretwell

I should have specified that the sub-floor beneath the peel and stick tile is plywood, not concrete. Does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
mtldude

I hate to disagree with others posters. May I suggest you read what the tile maker has to say on the subject before you get sued after the sale for un-disclosed problems.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

It could. Stability is the issue.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

Reply to
mtldude

Thanks for your comments, but could you suggest how to "do it right"?

Mark

Reply to
mtldude

Why not go with a laminate flooring. It would eliminate a lot of problems and still look good.

Reply to
Noozer

A friend of mine, at the time, laid peel-and-stick on a hardwood floor that was maybe 100 years old in a building that had been a printing compnay iirc. It only lasted a couple weeks before it came unstuck.

I'm sure your plywood was a lot cleaner.

Reply to
mm

Try the forums at

That site help me a lot when I redid my bathrooms. Good free advice from tile pro and DYIers.

Reply to
noname87

Peel off the old tiles. Not difficult with one of those heavy steel scrapers on a long steel handle, or a pneumatic one from Harbor Freight. You don't have to remove the old adhesive residue.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

WHy would you put ceramic tile in a kitchen? They're slippery and when dealing with hot pots and pans and the grease that splashes from cooking, ceramic sounds dangerous. I used to live in a house with ceramic on the bathroom floor. I slipped several times. When an elderly relative fell in there and nearly died from hitting her head on the tub, I ripped that garbage out of there.

Of course you're sell>I am putting up my condo for sale and want to spruce up the small

Reply to
roland

Not all ceramic tile is smooth and slippery. I used a textured ceramic tile in my old kitchen; this one in fact:

wasn't the least bit slippery.

Just depends on the tile.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

You probably had the wrong tiles for the application. Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of bathrooms have ceramic tile and no one slips in them. I loved it in my kitchen. Easy to clean, always looked good. Yes, that is my first choice for bath and kitchens.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mine too and hosts of others. Go look at the model homes!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

It is extremely difficult to remove old peel and stick tiles from concrete!!!

Reply to
Billie