Ceramic Tile installation: slip under baseboard or remove

I'm putting ceramic tile on my basement slab. The walls are finished.

I'd hate to remove the baseboards. Can I slip the tile underneath the baseboard? If so, should I leave space between the tile and drywall?

Reply to
Mike

how are you going to get the baseboards to rise up to leave a space? did you remove carpet from the slab already and have a space? will that space be enough?

typically you want the tile under the baseboards. it doesn't matter if you leave a space and tile and drywall, it isn't going to grow like wood would. typical installation is to leave a grout line between the tile and wallboard, but if you put the baseboards on top of the tile, no one will ever see if you do that or not.

you could tile up to the baseboards, leaving a grout line between the last tile and baseboard. in that case, then you must grout it or it'll look silly.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Yes, I removed carpet from the slab. The tile I bought (only $0.50 a square foot) is 1/4" thick. I believe the distance between the baseboard and concrete is about 3/8" thick.

Reply to
Mike

well, you'll have additional height from the thinset, but go right ahead then. if you won't tell, i won't.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer