ceramic tile

What are the negatives of laying ceramic tile w/out cement board? If I use both it will be too thick for my doors and not only will i have to cut the doors but redo thresholds.

Reply to
quapawgirl

Absolutely no problem skipping the cement board. If the tile is going on a concrete slab.

Reply to
dadiOH

What does the subfloor consist of? What is the overall thickess of the subfloor? If I remember right, the subfloor needs to be ay least 1.25" thick to provide a stiff floor to avoid tile or the grout cracking.

If it is wood, the wood could/will absorb the water out of the thinset before it properly cures. The result will be a weak bond between the tiles and the subfloor. This will lead to cracked grout and loose tiles.

Reply to
noname87