Ceramic Tile

It's time for a new floor covering in my basement. Until now I've had commercial carpet that was glued down. I'm toying with the idea of ceramic tile this time but what are the ramifications regarding the presence of the glue that held the carpet down. Will I have to get the old glue off to get the tile to stick? If so will I need a chemical stripper? or just lots of scraping? If so are there strippers that aren't flammable?