ceramic tile

Page 1 of 2

I was visiting my brother and they have 12" ceramic tile in most rooms.
A lot of the tiles are about a half millimeter higher or lower than the one next to it. Maybe less, but I can easily feel the difference with my fingers, and when pushing a dresser, the dresser has to be lifted up to get onto the next tile.
Is this work within professional standards?

I worked administration in a large nursing home and we contracted our main hall way to be done in 12" tile. After it dried we noticed the tiles were not even and the administrator had them take them all out and do it again. Mainly because the residents rarely worn shoes and it was uncomfortable to bare feet.

Not to me. It should be one year jail time minimum.
mm wrote:

A half millimeter? How did you measure that? Basic of tile installation is to use a length of 2x4 or whatever to tamp newest-set tiles so that they are level with and at the same level as adjoining tiles. Saw a neighbor going through great pains to set pavers in cement on a concrete sidewalk - used a level to make sure each paver was level as he went. Every paver was precisely level, just not the same level....a little higher, a little lower. Can see it clearly. He claimed to be brain damaged from falling off roofs when he was an alcoholic. There was no "was" to that part of the story :o)

Sounds like my old neighbor setting up a used above ground pool. (home made but very good quality) There were 8' panels for the walls and he made sure every one of them was level, and he even compared them to the panels next to it. Most stuff he did was nice but I saw a disaster coming. I went back over with string and a line level but he didn't use it. He installed a fancy new liner with fake tile up at the top and boy did that look pretty, until he filled it with water and it showed how far he was off. It went up and down at least 1 1/2".
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:38:26 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

With my fingers!
I didn't have any tools and it's a newly occupied 2BR apartment with no tools and not even a wood yardstick. I didn't see anything to use as a straight edge, except maybe emptying and removing a dresser drawer, but it wasn't my place to do that.
I don't know if the floor tiles were level or not, but they weren't the same height. At first I thought my SIL had hired a sloppy handyman to install this, but it's in Florida and now I hear it may have been installed years ago.

Tools? A dresser drawer...? Either you've addled your brain with injudicious use of recreational pharmaceuticals, or you're a troll. A straightedge is never further away than a piece of paper.
Feeling something with your fingers might be the way to go if you're a proctologist, but it's no way to judge anything except very fine work. When my eyes no longer are sharp enough to tell if a taping job is smooth enough for paint, or if I need to sand/scrape a bit more on woodwork, I let my fingers do the work. Tile work isn't taping or making furniture.
But, please do go back next year and check and let us know the exact measurement. When you post, ask for Mr. Blue - I'll be holding my breath until then.
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:41:20 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

I don't think a folded piece of paper would be stiff enough for this use. At any rate, there was loads to do, and I left several jobs undone when my visit was over. (some windows didn't stay up, some hurricane shutters wouldn't latch, screen for the turbo bathtub too big and wouldn't go in place. Receptacles had layers of paint. No door on guest room. Door on linen closet not hinged.) There was nothing I could do about the floor, so it got no more time than it did.

If you can't determine if there's a noticeable change in height between two tiles with the straight edge of a piece of paper, whether folded or not, then there is no gap to speak of and you're looking for problems and finding them where there aren't any.
It's also an APARTMENT. I hope you didn't point out your imaginary problem to your brother in his new place. A large part of being helpful is learning when to keep your mouth shut.
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:24:33 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Dang it. I told you in the first post that there was a noticeable change in height. Lots of places.
And in the previous post, I told you why I didnt' have time to investigate further while I was there.
I shouldn't have said it might be less than 0.5 mm without saying it might also be more. And I'd give you 2 to 1 odds that the differences are between 0.5 mm and 1 mm.
All I wanted to know was if 0.5 mm is within professional standards, not all this other advice you've been giving me.

No. There are plenty of problems with the floor, every place adjoining tiles aren't the same height.

It's a condo. He owns it. And the tile floor is in every room.

No, of course not, and not because they're imaginary.

That applies to you too.

So, to sum things up: - an apartment is a condo - you're a handy guy with tools, but you can't figure out how to find a straightedge* - you shouldn't have said it was one measurement because it might have been more
Dude, even if you're not, you are a troll.
* Available straightedges (very incomplete list): A book, magazine, broom handle, cereal box, bottle of wine, cutting board, etc., etc.

I had to convert that to inches to get a clearer picture of the problem.
.5 mm = .0197 inches - and you said "maybe less".
Assuming there is a grout line between the tiles, how could you even tell that some tiles are off by such a miniscule amount?

That's what I was thinking too. .5mm is about 1/50 of an inch. That would certainly seem to me to be within reasonable standards.

*Every professional has his own standards. If this was a low bid, fast install, get in and get out job I think those tolerances are pretty good. If this is a multi-million dollar celebrity mansion I would say that is unacceptable.

That seems like strange logic.
If you get paid less, you'd do the job intentionally sloppy? I'd think a competent tile person would have to try to screw it up.

*No, not what I was thinking. Some contractors are low bid types who do work for builders. In order to make money they must go fast and do volume work. Something suffers when speed is a priority. Some homeowners are more concerned with the quality of the job and are willing to pay a premium for an outstanding job.
Master Betty wrote:

Fast, correct, cheap. Pick two.

Maybe I'm not thinking in the real world but usually the better workers "are" the faster workers.
For example: If a barber is taking too long to cut my hair I know I won't like the results.
A cheaper tile job to me means cheaper tile. Not sloppy installation.
Jim
Master Betty wrote:

Could well be both or an inexperienced person.
Lou

your POV might be correct in a parallel universe but in my experience HeyBub's comment is "spot on"
or as we say "fast, cheap or good" ..... pick the two you'll be happiest with...... :)
A guy who's trying to deliver on a "cheap" job with skimp on mat'l AND labor cost to minimize the overall cost
Very few people intentionally do sloppy work but the realities of business & low bids force workers to cut corners and accept lessor results. Just the facts. :(
cheers Bob