Ceramic nonstick pans

What is the best value in ceramic nonstick frying pans? My brother bought some white ones on eBay and the nonstick performance is not very good at all. Food does stick and it is impossible to wipe them clean with a paper towel.

I want something with good nonstick performance at a reasonable price. Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for any help.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Very few pans have truly long lasting non-stick, but you should be able to get some years from them. I have two size non-stick pans. The large one is a Woll that is on the pricey side but still is non-stick after five years. Then I have a small Farberware pan that is about 2 years old now and was about $15 at TJ Maxx. I can fry an egg and just wipe it out with a paper towel.

I've see the "ceramic" pans but have not tried any of them. For serious cooking I use SS lined copper (mine is Falk) or a tri-ply All Clad.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is ceramic supposed to be any better than teflon? I've only seen ceramic pans on those tv infomercials, and you can't believe more than

10% of what they claim / promise.
Reply to
hrhofmann

A properly-seasoned and properly maintined cast iron skillet/pot is non-stick and will last for hundreds of years.

Reply to
HeyBub

I agree. Non-stick pans may be fine for a couple of years but coating wears and when sticking starts you cannot clean without abrading the finish.

Reply to
Frank

These reviews sounds like they don't really work as advertised very long.

Ceramic vs traditional teflon-type at Cook's

Eco-friendly nonstick skillets promise to help the planet while they cook your dinner. But do any actually measure up?

Naturally you can't see the comparison chart without getting involved, but the front article is useful.

Reply to
Mike Easter

teflon is being taken off the market for fear of health troubles it causing......

Reply to
bob haller

I bought both the Yoshi Blue and the Green one. Fantastic performance...for a short period and then no better than a teflon coating, even wore out and started sticking sooner than teflon.

Those, of course, were the cheap end around $20. I also found dthat the producers don't seem to know how to build a flat bottom pan. Fine new but doesn't take long for the bottom to have a high spot in the middle.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Daniel Prince wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We're currently using one that says "TRANSTHERM WMF W-B2-S" on the bottom. The surface finish, color, and texture greatly resemble Teflon, but the friction coefficient is higher. It does work pretty well at keeping food from sticking, better than non-coated pans, but you still often need to scrub to get /everything/ off. No ceramic we've used quite comes up to up to Teflon standards.

The WMF is my wife's pan. I prefer the ancient Wagner cast-iron pan that we've had in our family since the '50s. Food does sometimes stick, but comes off easily with a ScotchBrite pad.

My opinion is that if you want Teflon performance, buy a Teflon pan.

Reply to
Tegger

Frank wrote in news:ki4g5g$42v$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Plus you can't use metal spatulas with Teflon. Cast iron is best, to me.

Reply to
Tegger

bob haller wrote in news:706da9b6-b66e-408a-9436- snipped-for-privacy@ia3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

The concern is for a substance that is used in the /manufacture/ of Teflon; that chemical is absent from the finished pan.

Teflon on cookware is harmless to human health. Not that the "chemical" paranoiacs will believe that.

Reply to
Tegger

Tom Watson

Special to The Seattle Times

It's easy to guard against the obvious kitchen dangers, such as a hot stove or sharp knives. But when you hear that pots and pans may be toxic, what do you do then? Give up and just order takeout?

The good news is that most cookware will not put you at risk during normal use. But you do need to be aware of potential hazards with nonstick pots and pans. To make sure you don't cook up problems along with your scrambled eggs, follow these guidelines when buying and using cookware:

? Make sure nonstick pans stay nontoxic. The coating on nonstick cookware contains a chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). DuPont's Teflon is the most well-known brand. When heated to very high temperatures, this coating creates hazardous fumes.

The synthetic chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is used to make this nonstick coating and has various other industrial applications. PFOA can cause cancer and birth defects in animals and may pose a risk to humans, according to Consumer Reports. The Society of the Plastics Industry, a major trade group, acknowledges that PFOA is found in the blood of 95 percent of the U.S. population "and is persistent in the environment, even in remote locations."

However, it appears that problems with nonstick pans occur only after overheating. Lab tests recently conducted by Consumer Reports showed that when new and aged pans were heated to 400 degrees, no significant emissions of PFOA occurred.

If you use nonstick pans, you should be able to cook meat or eggs just fine if you heat the pan to medium (300 to 400 degrees) and then reduce it to low (200 to 300 degrees). DuPont does not recommend heating Teflon pans higher than 500 degrees.

Remind everyone in your household to be vigilant when using nonstick cookware. A preheated pan on high heat can exceed 600 degrees in two to five minutes, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG).

? Keep the birds flying. Birds have extreme sensitivity to fumes from nonstick pans. In the past 25 years, nonstick cookware heated at high temperatures has been linked to the deaths of hundreds of pet birds, EWG says.

Since all it takes is one distraction to result in an overheated pan, the Green Guide recommends bird owners replace all nonstick cookware. They should also avoid using nonstick cookie sheets, Teflon-lined ovens and burners lined with Teflon drip pans.

The fumes from overheated nonstick cookware that kill pet birds can also produce flu-like symptoms in humans. Make sure your kitchen is well-ventilated.

? Don't get flaky. Particles from older nonstick pans can chip off and get into food. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has stated that these particles would pass through the body and not pose a health hazard. DuPont also insists these particles will not cause harm when ingested.

Still, I'd rather use salt and pepper. Get rid of nonstick pans when they start to flake. Consumer Reports says flaking can result in uneven heating that may accelerate toxic emissions.

Even if your pans have not started flaking, the Green Guide recommends replacing nonstick cookware after two years, since the coating may then begin to degrade.

Bud a close friend called me to look at a investment property he was interested in. We looked at it and found knob and tube wiring in some areas of this triplex.

he was unable to obtain homeowners insurance, actually insurance just on the building, since it was a investment and he backed out of the deal.....

the building still sits on the market today unsold. his agent told him no one was able to get insurance and the property is detoriating and vandalized. the owner is hard nosed but will likely have to drop the price a lot to cover all new wiring. its in pittsburgh whicjh has strict laws about using only specifically licensed electricians. my buddy had a estimate of over 20 grand for all new service. no one has wanted to spend that much money.....

Reply to
bob haller

Another article

compares nonstick (PTFE) skillets that cost under $50. The winner (on page 2) was the T-fal pan. They still also liked a favorite expensive (All-Clad?) pan that did not perform as well because it had a lifetime warranty.

Reply to
bud--

cite

cite

Did you forget to say you can't get insurance for houses with teflon in them?

Reply to
bud--

Everything has a "best use" place. CI is great for some stuff, not so good for others.

Want to sear a teak? Get out the CI

Want to cook something with tomato sauce or other acidic ingredients? Use stainless steel or other non reactive material.

If I want to make breaded pork chops, the ones in the triple ply stainless steel will brown evenly over the entire pane, while the ones in the cast iron will brown faster towards the center of the pan, than the outer edge. The copper pan is great for even browning also.

We often use the cast iron pan as a roasting pan for pork roast and meatloaf. It works great for that. Put the formed meatloaf in the pan, cut up potatoes and put them around it, cook in the oven at 400 until done, about 160 degrees. Turn the potatoes once.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good luck doing that after 2015, when the federal "almost ban" takes place. I notice that many stores are already carrying replacement products, usually anodized aluminum, due to the toxic fumes they emit when idiot morons overheat the pans.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

One way to make teflon pans last longer is to reserve one or more for special use, where the non-stick surface is essential. For example, I have one pan that I use just for omeletes or similar light duty. By not using it for frying, higher temps, etc, the surface remains non-stick for a lot longer. The pan isn't anything special, either, just a Tfall, which isn't that expensive. Also IMO the perfectly smooth surface that you fequently find in less expensive pans is actually more slippery and releases food like omeletes better.

Reply to
trader4

Provided you don't overheat the pan, yes.

Teflon itself is nonreactive, which accounts for its nonstick properties.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Sear a teak???? I don't normally cook my wood before varnishing or otherwise finishing it.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I have a small pan for my morning egg. Given the future availability, I may pick up one or two more to carry me for the rest of my life. A $15 pan is very suitable for that use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski