Ceramic floor tile removal question

I hope this isn't a dumb question. Is there some kind of a device I can rent or buy that will make it easier to remove the tile. I started by hitting it with a hammer and chisel and pieces were flying around like shrapnel. The tile is on a concrete floor. Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Lay a cloth on it then whack with hammer.