Ceramic floor tile opinion

Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely to look bad? ares
ares wrote:

Not at all. Take a sample of the tile with you when you choose the new tile. Make sure they are the same thickness.
Yep, I was thinking of that too. We have terrazzo in most of the rooms but we added some placed on and enclosed a carport and put tile in different parts of the house. They're not all the same types of tile from room to room either, so I hope I'm not making too much of a hodgepodge of flooring styles! ares

Consider arranging the tile you have as a border around the new tile, or vice versa. Then it would look like you planned it that way. Make sure any new tile is the same thickness.
Banty
ares says...

I agree with the previous opinions, as long as the tile is the same thickness, I'd choose something color coordinated or color complementing and you should be just fine.
td

ares wrote:

floors, so it is your choice. I personally don't care for patterns, decorated tile on floor because it is too permanent. We have large - 20" - porcelain tile in LR/DR. Light taupe stone texture, same color grout. I don't like grout lines being the focal point. That said, if you know the brand, shop for same or accessory tile. You could use a pattern, checkerboard, one type center of room and one type as border, etc.

Why should the tiles be the same size? (and what's "very large", 12"?)
The tile looks approximately 2'X2'. Same size, or at LEAST the same thickness so it sits flat on the floor of course, but same size because it would be easier for me to arrange them so they look best and more symmetrical. I realize that other sizes could be used for a more complex pattern. ares