Ceramic floor tile help needed

Page 2 of 2
RB writes:

The plastic bottles of HCl emit steady fumes. Eats most metals including chromium and nickel. Greatly accelerated by condensing humidity.
Liquid pool chlorinator typically degrades into HCl and O3, both nasty to metals. Shouldn't be stored because it loses it potentcy in weeks anyway. Dry forms are more stable and less of an incidental corrosion hazard.
NorMinn writes:

SOME tile guys say that. The "widely used" practice disagrees.

Most but not all glazes are inert to acid. I believe all my specific cautions and qualifications covered your objections. Dilute, test compatibility, don't inhale, ventilate, etc. No question, it is easily misused to great harm, but properly applied, blah, blah.
http://www.ctioa.org/reports/fr41.html
http://www.marazzitile.com/tstuff-maint.html
http://www.digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/education/124.html http://www.digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/education/143.html
FYI, definition of "frit", per MW Dictionary: 1 : the calcined or partly fused materials of which glass is made 2 : any of various chemically complex glasses used ground especially to introduce soluble or unstable ingredients into glazes or enamels
NorMinn wrote:

Of course they don't recommend it. No manufacturer will any longer even hint at doing anything that could make them liable for anything even in the most extreme case. That doesn't change the fact that the way to get set grout or mortar off of tile/brick/whatever is to eat it off with acid. Nor that it is done everyday on a regular basis.
-- dadiOH _____________________________

Humans have e. coli in their guts to help digest food. They have staph bacteria in small numbers on their skin. Either one, where it doesn't belong, such as in the bloodstream, can kill. Most bacteria, in attacking the body, produce toxins. Some of them, chemically, do really nasty stuff like liquify tissue.
Drinking too much water can kill you by diluting circulating chemicals. Too much or too little potassium can zap the electrical circuitry in your heart.
Leaded crystal is lovely to look at, but drinking something from it that causes the lead to leach can kill you.
Aspirin can cure a headache or forestall a heart attack. Can also poison you by a number of actions, including upsetting the blood cell production in your body or eating up the lining of your gut.

Before we get to the grout and cleaning the glaze, be sure to protect yourself whilst cutting the tile. This is a good article on what stuff does to lungs (silica dust - sand - from tile, wood filler, etc.)
http://www.digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/education/170.html
It's good, in a way, that there are so many "smoke free" places where we can enjoy good health - until we jump into our gas-guzzling monster machines, run over to McD's for some grease, run home and put another log on the fireplace, and go out in the garage to get some poison to kill whatever that is that is crawling in the kitchen/bath/garden/lawn. Be sure to wash your hands before you grab a snack :o) Anti-bacterial soap is no longer recommended, I believe. We've bred resistant bacteria that now can get us even swimming in the ocean (aka garbage dump). Don't even think about going to a hospital, lest you catch something you didn't have when you got there :o)
NorMinn writes:

Use a wet saw, and rinse the effluent.
Stay off the beach. The UV gets you outside, the silica your insides.
im glad you asked this because i have been considering a project with 'slate-like' tile and was wondering that very thing. there's so many little groves and cracks for it to get into.
randy

ceramic
dull
I'm doing one now in my home with tumbled marble. Apply two coats of sealer to the surface first and let it dry. Sure it's a lot of work but would you rather roll sealer over the surface twice or wear out your arms scrubbing out grout. In my book there is no decision to make.
RB