Ceramic floor tile

We are remodeling the kitchen of my daughter's 1907 home. She wants to use ceramic or stone tiles. The floor is 1 & 1/8" thiks tongue and groove on dimensional 3 x 12's on 16" centers. What kind or type, if any, of subfloor will we need to install?

Thanks,

Jon jpb357atjunodotcomofcourse

Reply to
jpb357

Hi,

If the floor is concrete all you need to do is level it if need be and fix any imperfections. Use underlayment cement to level it. After that just set down the tiles in tile cement and grout it the next day.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

Quoting the original poster:

Doesn't sound much like concrete.

Reply to
Alan

You will have to put down cement backer boards of some brand. Hardi-board is one. Also, some of those old kitchens were rather large, so if yours is one of them, you may need to add a sleeper sill in the center to shore up the floor so there is no give to it. Otherwise, you'll have cracked grout joints in a month or two, or maybe a year or two.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J