Ceramic Cooktop

My wifes ceramic cooktop on her Wirlpool electric stove just got cracked. Are they hard or expensive to replace??? Just happened so haven't called anyone yet. Just curious as to what may be coming...

Well, my guess is, that unless it's a high end stove, you;re going to find that you might as well either live with it or buy a new stove. A friend of mine had one in a rental property that he owns ( not a good idea). A renter put a crack and quarter size chip in it. I looked up the cost of the top, which is basicly sold as a whole unit that is the top of the stove. The cost was like $275 and he only paid like $350 for the whole stove.
You can find the price from many appliance part sources online.
On Oct 10, 11:07 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

BTW, if it wasn't clear, that was the cost for just the part. So, even a DIY job wasn't worth it.
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:17:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I am not surprised. Once you take off the "top" there isn't much left.
On Oct 10, 11:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Suggest you buy new one and don,t use cracked as the top can completly breakdown on you while in use, tell the wife to get a better aim with the pan
had a top replaced once on a GE. the appliance was under warranty, fortunately.
repairman stated that if it wasn't for the warranty, I would be better off purchasing a new stove.