Central Vacumn Unit Installation

"Rudy" wrote in news:xJhbk.75536$gc5.20874@pd7urf2no:

Whatever works bud.

It takes decades for guys to learn such a simple thing generation after generation. If ya wanna be happy in the long run, make her happy...even when it makes you unhappy.

Reply to
Red Green

Tend to agree with not having one at all.

Both our daughter's homes have central units and they have ended not using them, preferring the convenience of regular canister or floor sweeping vacuums for various reasons, such as ability to take vacuum out to the car, better for sweeping up pet hair etc.

My idea might be to install one as a dust and sawdust remover for the basement workshop. Also to put the unit where it can be emptied outside the house.

Our personal opinions. Not mentioned as much these days by real estate developers as a sales gimmick.

Reply to
terry

"Red Green" >

I go far but not as far as making myself 'unhappy'

Reply to
Rudy

The standard installation is in the garage..NO BETTER place for doing the car. Ours came "stock" with an EXTRA garage/car kit including a 25' black hose and all tools for use out there.

You can get a dedicated DELTA power tools shop/sawdust catcher a lot cheaper (and more effective than) a 'home' central vac.

Back to the garage again

Our personal opinions. Not mentioned as much these days by real estate developers as a sales gimmick. "Don't knock it til you ve tried it"

Reply to
Rudy

I second this.

Reply to
metspitzer

I disagree; they're great. And a hose is a lot easier to drag around furniture and corners than a vacuum unit! The suction is greater, the bags bigger so require less changing, it has beater bars & all the equipment of any modern vacuum, there's only the hose to store, which you can get in different lengths by the way, and in general is a delight to have. Haven't had a single problem in over 9 years since it was installed and is used almost daily.

The installation downsides are the expense of the vacuum runs but they're only plastic pipe; I did my own and saved a bundle. Be sure the hose outlets go where you won't want to put furniture in front/over them. If you can't do that, then have two outlets in that particular room. Two in any large room, just for convenience. Use quality receptacles so they won't wear out. Personally I like wall mounted receptaclse because they're easier to reach than on the floor but not every room allows that. If you locate receptacles near doorways, you can often cover two rooms with just one receptacle unless they're large rooms. The downside of them is receptacle locations: If you don't think thouse out beforehand, you might not use it as often as you think you will. They need to be as convenient as possible and provide as little changing as possible when the whole house needs to be vacuumed. We bought one long 30' hose and a short 12' hose for ours; they hand in the pantry. The vacuum itself is in the basement and easily accessible to change bags, etc.. We love it.

Ymmv of course, as evidenbed by other posts here.

HTH

Twayne

Reply to
TWayne