Central Vacumn Unit Installation

Page 2 of 2
The one piece of advice I can give is regarding the powerhead.
Go with the hoover windtunnel. We've had much more expensive ones and cheaper ones. The Hoover windtunnel powerhead for central vacs is the best in our experience. Be sure to buy the current model. It is significantly better than the original put out 5 or so years ago but has the same model number. In other words don't look for a used one on ebay. You can get it delivered for $289 from vacdepot. We have a fancy European one that cost almost double and sold it on ebay. It wasn't as good as the Hoover.

Another suggestion.
The original Nutones had lifetime warranty on motors. If you can find one of those you are set for life. It includes labor I believe. Current model is short warranty like everyone else. I have a Nutone with 2 fan motors and it works great with a hoover head.

To the original question regarding installation, well it depends. On new construction, it's relatively easy because you have open access. If you're talking about adding central vac to a house, no way I'd do it. While I have central vac and like it, it would be far too difficult to retrofit and not worth the trouble.
On Jul 4, 3:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I agree.
With what the labor and parts would cost, customer could hire a maid for 5 years. :-)
Andy

Tend to agree with not having one at all.
Both our daughter's homes have central units and they have ended not using them, preferring the convenience of regular canister or floor sweeping vacuums for various reasons, such as ability to take vacuum out to the car, better for sweeping up pet hair etc.
My idea might be to install one as a dust and sawdust remover for the basement workshop. Also to put the unit where it can be emptied outside the house.
Our personal opinions. Not mentioned as much these days by real estate developers as a sales gimmick.

The standard installation is in the garage..NO BETTER place for doing the car. Ours came "stock" with an EXTRA garage/car kit including a 25' black hose and all tools for use out there.

(and more effective than) a 'home' central vac.

Our personal opinions. Not mentioned as much these days by real estate developers as a sales gimmick. "Don't knock it til you ve tried it"