Central vac related question

Hi,

I'm afraid I work installing central vacuum systems. When we install vac pans we use a flexible rubber hose called VAC-U-FLEX, made by Flexible Technonogies. I started using it at other times too, when it's hard to get regular fittings down through the floor...it can save a lot of time hammering and chiseling, and then trying to get the fittings down through the hole. I told the boss about that, and he said not to do it. The reason is because the tubing supposedly breaks down after about 10 years, and if it's in a wall it's hard to get at and replace. When I asked him why we use a product that breaks down in 10 years on vac pans, he said because we can usually get at them to replace the hose. I don't think so, but we disagree about many things. The question is: does anyone know if this product really does break down after about 10 years, and if so, is there a similar product that does not?

Thanks for any help! David

Reply to
dh_ld

The flexible hose is a LOT more expensive than the regular pipe.

The obvious answer is your time is less valuable than the flex hose saves.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Note: If the flexible hose is corrugated it will be more likely to become clogged.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What does the manufacturer say? What does the National Bureau of Standards say?

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

The National Bureau of Standards went away many years ago to be replaced by NIST. Last time I was there they were not in the vacuum cleaner business.

RB

Reply to
RB