central heat--strange behavior

This is the first fall/winter in our new house. Haven't had to use the heater until this week. I've noticed it exhibits some strange behavior...It will run normally and shut off when the desired temp is reached. Then, the fan comes on for a minute or two, goes off, comes on, goes off, and repeats

3 or 4 more times. It's an electric central heat/air unit. Does this sound normal? Any ideas on the cause? TIA!
Reply to
ADC

Roy Mottola

There's usually a thermostatic fan switch in the furnace to 'remove' any very hot air left behind in it after a regular heat cycle. This is what it sounds like is happening.

Can be agravated by dirty air filters, blocked air ducts, heater strip relays that fail to shut the heat off when they are supposed to.

This fan switch maybe adjustable in some cases, and you could try a setting more suited to yourself.

It would be safest to have a professional service person examine the furnace and set it up. They could look for bad relays and such, and make sure that it's clean and there's the correct air flow through the unit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.