central airconditioning maintenance?

1-Chemically clean and check both coils..inside and out. 2-check condition of contactor, replace if points pitted and burned. 3-Check condition of compressor windings (meg) 4-Check all safety devices operation, wiring and controls. 5-_check all low voltage wiring 6-check calibration, and if needed (mercry switch type) level of thermostat 7-Check superheat, or subcool, adjust if needed. 8-Check blower motor, and clean if needed. 9-Check system operation, delays, etc..should be done at the same time of safety system check. 10-Clean condensate drain, replace bact tabs, or sheets. If equipped with a condensate pump, check operation of float, overflow switch, check wiring condition, and remove pump and clean tray. 11-Check all duct fittings and seals. Repair as needed. 12-Check fan motors, oil if needed, or if you can as most today you cant. You dont have a belt drive unit if its that new, so no belt to worry about, but if you do, replace it even if it looks fine, oil bearing cups, oil motor, and adjust tension properly, and this means new belt, tighten, run for 20 minutes, and adjust again. 13-Check amp draw on all motors, including compressor.

VERY Basic list. Some may take more, or less All that assumes you put in a new filter too... If not, add a filter change to it.

if the company doing this states you need refrigerant, they BETTER have checked superheat, or subcool, filter condition, condition of indoor coil, blower etc...BEFORE they state this, and they BETTER use a scale like a CPS digital or the like to weigh in the charge....if not...fire them.

Reply to
webmaster

When we purchased our home 2 years ago (it'll be 2 full years at the end of May) we had the furnace cleaned and the AC coils above it cleaned. It has worked great the last 2 summers.

Its now approaching the 3rd summer, and I'm wondering if there is any general maintenance on the unit outside? Is there a standard "summerization" which includes a cleaning and recharge? Or something similar? I'd hate to phone and ask these places as they'll suggest services that aren't necessary.

The unit is a Carrier 2 ton and was installed in the fall of 2001. I don't know what service was performed before I got the house (assuming nothing).

??

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

Yes, a clean and check is a very good idea. The outdoor fins can be rinsed out with a garden hose to wash the dust and dirt out. Also might oil the motor, and check for proper freon charge. The last item is a HVAC service guy's thing to do. Needs a license.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon