Central Air v. Window-unit Air?

Page 1 of 5
If a house currently has multiple window air-conditioners, are these significantly less efficient than central air, if the house were retrofitted with it?
I realize the comparison is complicated, so assume all other factors equal, and assume: the vents and their position for central air would be adequate; about half the rooms are normally in use; nobody's concerned about the window-view obstruction, etc.; Chicago climate; poorly insulated house.
A companion question is, does the efficiency of air conditioners increase significantly with size?
--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Installing central air costs a lot of money. Once it's installed, the cost of running it is less than the cost of what you have now. However, it would take more than 30 years to make up the cost. It could even take more than 100 years. In other words, if it costs you $1000 a year to run window units and $800 a year to run central air that's a savings of $200. However, if central air costs $6,000 to install, it will take 30 years times $200 a year for you to get your money back. So if you are comfortable now, don't change. If you are hot now, consider the money.

This is Turtle.
If you think a standard hvac system would cost about $6K. I need to move my business to your area and open back up for I like the way you think.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Are you still in the business Turtle? 6K is a normal median price. Some are less, some more. You can't touch an Infinity system for 6K, nor even just a 13SEER 410-A over 3.5 tons.
hvacrmedic
"Are you still in the business Turtle? 6K is a normal median price. Some are less, some more. You can't touch an Infinity system for 6K, nor even just a 13SEER 410-A over 3.5 tons. "
And of course it all depends on where you're starting from. If the house has a modern forced air heating system, it;s one thing. If it has hot water heat, then it's a different story.

Yeah lotsa hot water heating systems in Louisiana is my bet.
--
SVL

This is Turtle.
I see the ones here speaking has stars in their eyes of what they think the Oakdale, La. 71463 HVAC service company makes money wise. There is 2 of the 5 service and installer companys in town that thinks changing out a 5 ton condenser for a job at cost + $125.00 = the job done. $885.00 sales tax included for a Evcon / Luxaire / York. I bid $1,500.00 in Rheem and $1,275.00 in Goodman. The other bidder told the preacher that i was a ripping the church off by wanting these high prices. The sad part here is the preacher believed him but the other fellow would not come back to fix the job with a freezing up expanion valve problem. They called me to come fix the mess up and i told the Preacher it would be $200.00 to fix it. he said that seemed way to high to fix it. i said then you know it could run $300.00 or so the more I think about it. I went a head and did it for $225.00 but i will never get use to Idiots in the customer base.
3 of the 5 service companys have other jobs and suppliment their income with hvac work. There is only 2 companys that do this full time for a living, Myself and one other. If you want to work residentiual jobs. You have to put up with a fellows who thinks Cost + $125.00 for condenser units and Cost + $250.00 for complete system change outs [ furnace , coil, and condenser ].
I thought about moving years ago but did not for some reason.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Turtle, I think you should have moved. You need to get paid for you hard work and years of experience.
In hot (& humid) climates with long cooling seasons I wish every county government, utilizing the power companies, would fund an Energy Audit campaign to reduce the massive waste of energy in America. (That ought to get some feathers ruffled.) - udarrell - Darrell
--
Factors in the Correct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems -
Recommended Procedures for Proper Duct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
This is Turtle.
The ideal of getting the hvac system to working right by a engery program would be a good ideal for here laterly about 1 in 5 calls of hvac trouble is too much freon in the system. They gas them up in cool weather and when it gets hot. They will stop working for too much freon in them.
TURTLE
RP wrote:

BTW, given that the OP apparently needs ductwork too, well, Awwwwww :)
hvacrmedic

This is Turtle.
I don't know of any single hvac system that cost $6K as of now or in history of Oakdale.
There is 3 -- 410-A systems in oakdale and all 3 of them are not working. We had a local install them and they don't work right. He has not got paid for them yet and is being sued.
The highest bid i know of was $5,300.00 for a 5 ton 13 seer rheem heat pump for a small Church and plenty of ductwork.
now if you get commercially the money goes up and $6K is nothing for a job. Now all residentiually job are poor boy stuff and is low ball, city. We have one hvac fellow who trys to get $250.00 off a complete system change out of 4 or 5 tons.
TURTLE
This is boB
You need to look at someplace other than Oakdale. We got a unit only for our 1985 SF home and it was $5K. That was the CHEAPEST. This was 7 years ago. Our property value has gone up 40% here as well. Can Oakdale boast that? If you want to make some money, come to FL.
--

boB
"TURTLE" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Ductwork is extra

Ductwork is extra
Nevermind move the business, just send me some of your customers.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ya....Send him the one's you hate.

Just send him some....Turtle deals with fuckers too stupid to care who works on their shit, and Chris is perfect for fucking them out of every damn dollar they make..
Chris and Terry are the reasons that the general public looks down on the HVAC biz as a whole....they dont know what they are doing, cant repair anything, and when they do, they have to ask what kind of freaking CLEANER to use, after making wild claims about being in the trade since they were SIX. Terrys dad should have been locked up due to child labor laws....or at least, for making such a stupid fucker in the first place.

This is Turtle.
If it was a crime of being a Asshole and lier. You surely would be in jail.
i8've got a question for you. Where do you get al this hate from for i have not seen anybody with better hatred than you is Paul. Now he has settled down , so I guess your the biggest Hatred Fellow around. Give me some more of that hatred for your good at it. Do you work for a living or just hate all day ?
TURTLE

works
dollar
the HVAC

anything,
after
least,
jail.
have not

, so I

hatred
I know you've got issues with Paul and a couple of the minions (doh!), but if you take up with Stormy who is a troll by way of being mentally incompetent, you stand to lose a lot of respect from people in the group I fear. You are judged by the company you keep Paul & others may be assholes but they are not deviants although I can't prove it. I don't know why that idiot bites my craw but he does and he is not contributing anything of value to this newsgroup (my opinion). In fact I believe, he will see the gates of hell long before Paul gets done telling Saint Peter to Blow Him... :)
Please don't encourage Stormy to post to this group. He needs to listen and learn allot more about HVAC before opening his mouth to give advice.
Again just my opinion, Joseph

This is Turtle.
Joseph , E-mail me and I can speak openly. I don't think I have your address . My addy on the group is good.
TURTLE