central air leak?

I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4" pcv pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into the attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the pipe ends.

The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.

Is this normal?

Reply to
Mook Johnson

PVC is often used to drain the condensate pan, and some cool air will exit it if there is no trap in the line. Could this be what you felt??? More info needed.

Reply to
Ken

It is, if the pipes are intended to supply combustion air to the furnace rather than draw air from within the house.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Most likely condensate lines for the evaporator. My off the cuff advice is to put a plastic bag over the top of each of them (sandwich bag) and then a couple rubber bands over each bag.

Probably not a serious issue eithr way, but you'll feel better about it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wouldn't combustion air, and exhaust be extended past the attic?

Sound like drain lines, maybe the OP can tell us the size, and if they run down.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I looked again and one is coming from the furnace and only elbows up. The other goes from the furnace elbows up and has am insulator. wrapped around it and goes down over the nearby bathroom.

You guys are probably right about consensation line but I wanted to make sure.

Reply to
Mook Johnson