Central Air Condenser busted, is the repair service being honest? Can I obtain and install a condenser myself?

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:36:22 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For what it's worth many Tranes use fittings on their compressors. They take a teflon o-ring that is not reusable but only costs a couple bucks. Sure makes it a piece of cake to replace the compressor.

That is my thinking also. The unit is over 10 years old and it would be beter for me to replace the whole system with a new system. That way you get a matched system, warenty,and maybe some tax credits. Will probably save on the power bill also.