Central air advice needed

Hey everyone, well, I'm poor, had heart surgery, lost my job,, so I = can't afford to=20 hire a ac mechanic to come out and add freon to my central air unit = right now, since it'll cost about=20 $80 , at least that's what it did last time. I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said it = had a slow freon leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch). He said just run it until = something breaks... Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if = needed, but don't know what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to = them, one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a = copper tube ,both coming from the ac unit into the house. I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on = it. Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe?=20 and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each unit? or basicly all the same.=20 The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about =

1000 sq ft.of space. I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't = find any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes = where, plus the amount that should be in system.

Thanks in advance......

joe

Reply to
joe~V~3838

Sorry, but you need most than more freon. You need the leak fixed.

I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said it had a slow freon leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch). He said just run it until something breaks...

He is your problem. I is criminal to suggest that. It means he is going to come back time and time again costing you more in the long run that just fixing it right.

Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if needed, but don't know what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to them, one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a copper tube ,both coming from the ac unit into the house.

You don't have the knowledge equipment or freon. It would be a lot cheaper to have it done.

I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on it. Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe? and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each unit? or basicly all the same. The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about 1000 sq ft.of space. I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't find any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes where, plus the amount that should be in system.

Thanks in advance......

joe

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

IF you are serious.....read below..

Cheap...that was a cheap call...

I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said it had a slow freon leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch).

Forget that...its tripled since 3 months ago.... Sheesh..$8 a pound....I havent charged that in a while..

He said just run it until something breaks...

Sounds like a hack to me...

Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if needed, but don't know what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to them, one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a copper tube ,both coming from the ac unit into the house.

You got an EPA card? No? You cant...period. You know how to check superheat? Subcool? NO? Then stop..

I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on it. Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe?

Yea....if you enjoy things like..both hands.. Eyes.. Arms...

and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each unit?

Very...

or basicly all the same.

Nope...not even..

The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about 1000 sq ft.of space.

Does not matter...

I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't find any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes where, plus the amount that should be in system.

Ok..you have to be state, and federally licenced..if you are not, you can not even buy REFRIGERANT...The Montreal Protocol changed all that... Its obvious, that you need a licenced tech out...and if you are poor, and out of work, it beats loosing an arm, or your eyes...

Shit..if you are local to me, I will check it...advice you for what it needs, and work out a payment plan..but...if you are not...then find a competent tech, that understands your situation....and will work with you...we turn NO ONE away...but....some will...particularly this time of year..

Thanks in advance......

joe

Reply to
CBHvac

Hey Turtle, thanks for the nice reply...... well, luckily I haven't had to run the ac here in winston-salem,nc but a couple times this year..., and it's almost august ! I guess I could call john's plumbing and ac up and talk to the manager and see what they say.... I hope to be back at work in less than a year. They don't want me back now since operation ... I really don't know where to get r22, see alot of 134a though...... Already have gauges from long time ago...

Thanks again.....

joe

Reply to
joe~V~3838