central air?

Our manufactured home comes with a gas heating unit and is ducted for air conditioning but doesn't come standard with A/C.
What's our best bet for A/C? Sears? Someone else? The house is about 1800 sq ft. What size unit might we need? We're in the high desert in southern California. It's not as hot as down the hill, but still plenty hot in summer. Any idea on prices for this kind of thing?
Thanks,
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
Sears might just have the highest price, find out who your neighbors use and get bids. You have many choises on efficency ratings and costs. You need a good pro that can give you all the options available and costs to operate.

A good local HVAC contractor. NOT Sears.
maxinemovies wrote:

Exactly, Someone else. Ask you neighbors for the name of a good local contractor. Let them suggest the equipment and explain your options. They will need to measure a number of factors to determine the proper size for you. They also will know what works well for your particular situation. This is not about brands, but about instalation.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:14:45 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" >> What's our best bet for A/C? Sears? Someone else?

years now ....long enough to know something anyway...and they say the same thing.....
Not much difference in what Brands are installed.... problem rates from low end to high end equiptment are really not that much diffenent...some brands use proprietary parts which can get pricey.. however
PROPER SIZING and the INSTALLATION is what really matters....
They have left some contractors because they were expected to slap things togeher as fast as possible.. and many of the salesmen honestly have no clue on what will fit and what will not ...These salesman do know what units carry the highest commision however...
Only good way is to ask friends, neighbors, the guy in front of you in the grocery store...etc...
Lots of luck... Bob Griffiths
I'd agree with Pawlowski. Sears, in my direct experience, pays by the job. That means a guy who works as fast as he can and gets out.
Given the usual minimal insulation in ma,nufactured homes, A/C might be expensive to run.
TB
On 9 Mar 2005 17:17:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

Silvercrest doesn't use minimal insulation. In fact, the houses are pretty solidly made. (Check www.silvercrest.com for more info.)
We don't really know anyone in that area yet (we currently live about 30 miles from there) but we communicate via online forum with some of the locals. I'll ask them who the use.
Thanks much,
Maxi
Email addy upon request.

This is Turtle.
Get the Spec. Sheet for the Manufactored home for heating and cooling [ Manual J & D ] which was done already on all of these home when they were built. It will be with the paper work of the home or with the manufactor that they should give you for nothing. With theManual D & J , there will be no guessing at all and you can get bids on exactly what you need and not what your guessing at or hoping to get to be right.
Now bids , Sears would be the last one to talk to. I would first check with the company that you bought the home from and see about a bid or price. Then I would Talk to friends , peers and see about other people who has had servce from installers of jobs like this.
E-mail me here and talk more. The addy is good.
TURTLE
Look on the cabinet door under the kitchen sink. This is where they usually put the AC information, Tonnage ect.

maxinemovies wrote:

Consider, too, evaporative cooling. For a desert, it's cheap.
Personally, I'd avoid Shears. I've had only bad experiences with that company, and I used to work for them!
I'm guessing there are some local companies. Ask your friends who they have had out to the house, and who they liked.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus