Central AC Advice

Page 8 of 8

But if brand X consistently outdoes brand Y in end-user results surveys, and it is not due to X actually being better than Y, then there is *some* factor that is making the bad dealers favor Y. So, as a consumer, I've got better odds going with brand X.
--
--Tim Smith

If you want to use inaccurate survey's to make your decisions, by all means, do so...

Can you point out how they are inaccurate? If a magazine surveys its readers, and Brand X beats Brand Y by a statistically significant margin, and it is not due to X actually being better, and it is not due to poor installers favoring Y for some reason, then that would have to mean that the readers of the magazine who pick X do a better job of finding good installers, and the ones who pick Y are worse at picking installers.
Why would that be? I suppose if X costs more than Y, then maybe consumers who pick X are more careful when they pick their installers, and get more references and recommendations, whereas the people buying the cheaper brand might also tend to go with the cheapest installer?
--
--Tim Smith

Group 1 75 units of brand A was improperly installed. 25 calls were made to this group.
Group 2 75 units of brand B was improperly installed. 50 calls were made to this group.
Group 3 75 units of brand A was correctly installed. 50 calls were made to this group.
Group 4 75 units of brand B was correctly installed. 25 calls were made to this group.
Who wins the survey? Is the survey accurate? Does it help you in determining which brand is better?
What if brand A and B are exactly the same product?
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 04:52:24 -0700, Tim Smith

You're up against a brick wall. The opinions of 30,000 owners of the surveyed product makes for an "inaccurate survey."
Tim Smith wrote:

you just have to shop around for them, as you should when buying the highest cost brands. You will find good & bad selling various brands, you need enough knowledge savvy to sort out the bad ones! http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
Lennox is supposed to have top quality installs & techs, why is their brand rated so low? Come on, answer the question! "None of the other Brand Makes that kjpro listed" were not in the survey, or none of them made the Top Twelve? Kjpro is right, that survey was meaningless misleading BS. I do NOT sell any Brand of equipment I am retired and impartial! - udarrell

Bullshit, the more features and safety controls you have, the more there is to fail.
Since it's painfully obvious that you have no experience in the HVAC/R industry, I suggest that you quit posting as someone who does. Someone my take your bullshit and believe it. That would be a shame!

FFS, you don't need an HVAC background to understand a survey.

I've never attempted to.

If I had an installer like you tell me that equipment quality didn't matter whatsoever, I'd show him the door.

Survey's can be swayed one way or the other... dipshit. The fact still remains that their report is BULLSHIT.

Then quit telling me about my own trade, Dipshit!

You wouldn't have to, I don't work for idiots!
Looking to install a new AC unit. 2.5T outdoor with a 3T coil. Maratherm for around $2,200 or a comfortmaker for around $3,000. Any advice?

The one that's properly sized, installed and set-up to operate with-in the manufacture's specifications!
I've had a couple cases where I took apart and cleaned the outdoor unit, and the AC came back to life. Please make a few calls, and see if you can find a HVAC service company that's willing to take apart and clean the outdoor unit. They should use chemicals (sprayed on) and then a water hose to rinse it clean.
I'm not there to get all the readings, but it sounds like your unit can run for several more years.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I ended up calling a repairman. He located a leak in the evaporator tubing inside the air handler located in the attic. He recommended either replacing the entire Carrier air handler ($1600 - 1800) or the entire system for with Lennox 14ACX / CBX26UH system for about $3300.
While getting quotes, some said you might as well switch to the R410A refrigerant as R22 will be start to phase out in 2009. Others said R22 is cheaper and will be around for a long while. Is it better to stick with a 14 SEER R22 system?
I like the old stuff. It's 14 years after they outlawed R-12, and a friend of mine has two thirty pounders of R-12 in his garage. He's going out of business, account of age. And offered to sell them to me. I'll call him back one day and see how much he wants.
I'd go with the older R-22 stuff. It runs at lower pressures, and will be available for quite a while.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

End of production date for R-22 equipment, 2010.
I'd still install an R-22 system in my home today!

I decided to go with a 4 Ton, 14 SEER, York R-22 system for $3550 (w/o taxes). Thx

Your welcome.

Today, they are actually installing the system. The condenser unit (H2RE048S061) is rated for 4 tons and the air handler (AHP60D2CH21A) is rated for 5 tons. Is the tonnage mismatch acceptable? Or should I insisted on a 4 ton air handler also?

Where are you located?
Here's the deal... both air handlers are a match for the condensing unit.
ARI # 1259865 is with the 4-ton A/H Data... 11.0 EER 13.85 SEER 46,500 Btu
ARI # 1259870 is with the 5-ton A/H Data... 12.0 EER 14.00 SEER 46,500 Btu
As you see, the 5-ton A/H will operate a little cheaper. But, if you're in a high humidity area, the larger indoor unit can compromise the humidity removal.
The real data you need to look at is the manual J (sensible/latent requirements) and the equipment specifications (sensible/latent ratio). This will tell you which system is the better match for your particular structure. Compare the requirements with the equipment data... this will 'tell the tale'.

Absolutely NOT. The 5 ton inside unit is cheaper to operate and will have some expansion value in case you add a room and want more cooling later on.
Your installer will be able to control for the very unlikely humidity problem mentioned earlier.