Central AC

Page 1 of 2
I'll be putting in the outside unit (condenser) at the rental tomorrow, the lines were cut back near the A coil, but there are a few inches to work with. I've never done this before.
The outside diameter line is .733" and .383", I'm thinking that must be 5/8 and 5/16, is that right, or is that 3/4, 3/8 OD?
What should I solder that with and what kind of coupling? I've got some Stay-Brite #8 (and a map torch). Will that work, or would something else be better or easier.
The outside unit is R22, Goodman CRT24-1A. Is that any good? The house is 900SF.
I suppose since the A coil is perhaps 15 years or so old, that it will be fine with that. Is that right?
I'll need to pick up some charging gauges, I have an old vacuum pump. I don't have a thermocouple temp gauge but I do have an IR thermometer and some old chemistry thermometers. I, of course, want to stay on this side of slugging the compressor. How should I go about charging this? I think this has an expansion valve (but am not positive), so that would be sub cooling.
Any hints or such? Pointers or resources?
What about R22a? Something else?
On another note, I have friend whose central AC hasn't worked for a couple years. Something funky where they have to rewire it for either heat or AC. Not much money there and she had someone out to look at it who said it was $200 job. Might as well have been $2,000.
So I had a look at this, the furnace is in the attic, man it was hot up there! No voltage at the thermostat. The thermostat wires went to a board with two relays on that with wires running out to the outside unit and some other wires that were not quite hooked up to the furnace board, a couple inches short of being screwed down. I suppose that is a $200 repair...
Jeff
On 4/11/2011 9:35 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

You might try taking the HVAC course at your local community college or trade school first. :-)
TDD

Thanks, I'll do that first thing in the morning! ;-)
Jeff

There are so many things wrong with this picture.... The OP doesn't have a clue, and will be really lucky to get either system running, and there is no way on GODs green earth he is going to get it right.
By the time he gets done, and then has to call a *competent* tech to straighten out the mess, its going to cost way more than if he had hired a licensed, insured, bonded, professionally trained, Master Technician to replace the entire system in the first place.
What Steve said.

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 4/12/2011 10:55 AM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Are you guys AC professionals or wimps?
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

I think you have the right idea. Use silver solder if you can on the refrigerant lines. Make sure the A coil and compressor match up, the expansion valve in the A coil that is. Pressure test it with air first if everything holds suck it dry and charge it up. Then come back and tell us how easy it was and how much you saved. If you see the code enforcement truck drive by be sure to wave. A penny save is a penny earned. I probably left a few things out but you seem to have the right idea, now get to work.
On 4/12/2011 3:25 PM, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:

Thanks!
It's taken all day to get the parts. I finally found the 3/4" line, ran me $10 used!
I'll get this started tonight and pick up the gauges tomorrow. In the meantime I'll look back through "Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology 5th Edition". Not all 1324 pages, of course!
Jeff
.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

That's a LITTLE harsh! Don't you think?
The knock you hear on your door will be the Secret Service.

    For mentioning a Bible verse, and suggesting prayer ? ?
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 4/12/2011 8:17 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Not if you hang a sign on the door. *ACORN HEADQUARTERS*

On 4/12/2011 9:20 AM, Steve wrote:

Jeff is a smart fellow, he has the skill set but lacks experience in the trade. I was working on a long post last night before my body ran out of steam (just started on antibiotics to head off walking pneumonia) and could not finish it. I was listing all the things he would need to do in order to piece together the condenser, line set and evaporator because I do that kind of thing with used often disparate equipment all the time. I can make it work and it keeps on working. Me and my friend GB help out a lot of organizations and people who don't have a lot of money so we deal in used stuff quite often. Steve, you have a heck of a business and I admire you for it but there are a lot of good people out there who can't afford new equipment and premium prices for service and repair so they call us. Jeff can't help but learn a great deal from his perilous adventure so he will make out either way. Besides, it's great entertainment. ^_^
TDD

Its the landlords responsibility to make sure the comfort system is working properly.... Sure it might cost him a couple of months rent to get it done right, but its the cost of doing business, and he should have funds set aside to cover these type of evolutions.
Its the same as any other business owner. That being said, he doesn't have to shop for the most expensive tech in the book, nor should he shop for the cheapest(as landlords are known to do). He should shop for one who is going to do it right, pull the appropriate permits, have the appropriate inspections done, and guarantee his/her work.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I've had a lingering cold here.
Cheers, Jeff
On 4/12/2011 9:32 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I used to get walking pneumonia about once every 5 years starting around 1985. I had it last winter and waited too long before getting antibiotics which knocked it out in a week but the weakness lasted eight. Last Friday I started coughing clear phlegm and my nose kept dripping and it was a harbinger of wicked things. The stuff turned brown late Saturday, I called the doctor''s office Monday morning and started on a course of antibiotic treatment that day. I feel like hell and am just as mad. I have a backlog of work of every description including HVAC and refrigeration. I was supposed to go clean a condensing unit in a kitchen tonight while the place was closed but was too freaking sick. That's why I'm so angry at those evil little bacteria. :-(
Man, I'll tell ya there are a myriad of little things you have to look out for when "custom" building an AC system which is what you're doing with your setup. One item that anyone who's serious about Ref & AC work needs is nitrogen. I have two Q sized cylinders that I keep in rotation and was lucky enough to find them abandoned at different sites years ago, the deposit on gas cylinders can be expensive. A great many techs who do refrigeration and HVAC work for a living are clueless about many of the things I consider necessary including the use of nitrogen. N2 or nitrogen is very important for removing contamination from the internal plumbing of refrigeration equipment and for providing an inert gas flush or environment inside copper lines that are being silver soldered to prevent oxidation. I also use it to test pressure switches, controls and pressure operated items like valves. When me and my friend GB install a system in a new home or remodel, we don't install the condensing unit until the house is to be occupied. The stub of the line set which is connected to the evaporator is flushed with N2, capped then pressurized via a soldered on Schrader valve to 100 psi. The charge will stay virtually unchanged over a wide temperature range unless there's a leak or damage by the other trades via a nail through a line. This practice also keeps bugs, dirt and moisture out of the line set. Your Goodman condensing unit is likely to have a small factory installed liquid line dryer inside the unit and if you're going to use a new high side dryer on your system, you need to remove and jump out the old dryer. There are dozens of other "little" things that you need to know about AC work that I'm too tired to list right now at this late hour. It's dark out there and I'm about to pass out again after letting the attack Chihuahua outdoors to chase the booger man and relieve herself. She's my roommate's dog but I think she likes me better. ^_^
TDD

<snip>
I'm giving a whole new thought to not avoiding getting a flu shot shot every year. I still feel bad.

Ahhh.
One item that anyone who's serious about Ref & AC work

You know, I was just thinking about that. I'm not sure how good my old Robin Air pump is and I thought about purging with N2. My understanding is that you need a little R22 in there, but I'm not quite sure why the refrigerant. Seems like I should probably let in a little R22 and purge a couple times, I think that is even legal (more or less).
I have two Q sized cylinders that I keep in rotation

Clueless is not uncommon!
N2 or

Yes, it does. Little bitty thing.
and if you're going to use

Hadn't thought about that. The outdoor unit has been more or less open for a couple months. Should I do this?
There are dozens of other "little" things that you need

I crawled in to look at the evap today and it wasn't as my friend had said. The lines were broken right at the fittings and I damaged the suction side broken line getting it out (to say I'm irritaed with myself is an understatement). I thought I might just silver solder this back in. The other thing is that this 5/8, not 3/4 like on the Goodman. My thing is that I should probably run 5/8 over and transition at the Goodman, but I don't know and this raises other questions.
I suppose I should have looked at the Goodman more before I left, but I had other things to do. I don't know where the TXV is. On a Chrysler it's bolted right on the evap, but I forgot to look here. There is an orifice in the A coil liquid fitting. How does this work?
I'm thinking of suggesting a tradeout (I write websites up to City/County size) with the guy who lent me his College Refrigeration text, not sure if I can swing it as I only know him from trading at his business.
that I'm too tired to list right now at this late

I imagine!
Just cats here, and I must say having had dogs just about forever, it is so very nice not to have to tend to their constant potty needs. It's the or else that makes people go out in all kinds of weather.
I am, of course, in Atlanta, or as my neighbor calls it "The Crime Zone". What part of Al are you in? I haven't been to Al, since my girlfriend blew a head gasket in Cheaha. Boy, was that an experience!
Jeff

They have a shot to keep from getting that now. Every year My primary care tune up offers it to me. I understand that even the free clinics give it. Which means it can't be too expensive.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Next time you go to the doc, get a vaccination for pneumonia.
Also tell him you want a script for Cipro or other antibiotic that you can keep on hand for contingencies. As long as you're collecting prescriptions, get one for Vicodin or other pain reliever. You never know when you might break a toe or get a toothache in the middle of the night.
If your doctor won't cooperate with your informed and rational reasons, find another doctor.
I, for example and with a cooperating doctor, have laid in a small supply of meds that might come in handy in case of a disruption in normal services (hurricane, monkey invasion, whatever). This pill-pack includes Vicodin, two types of antibiotics (Cipro and SMZ/TMP, Valium, and a few others).
Steve wrote:

He could get lucky. . .
Or study up at Wikipedia. . .
On 4/12/2011 9:18 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Christ I'm not dumb. And I've got *the* text book and the installation manual, all posted earlier. I've got a freon license. I've done auto air. I have an EE degree, so it's not like enthalpy is a foreign concept.
I'd pay someone else to do it if I had money to burn, but I have too many other things that I'm burning money on.
I have no practical experience with this, which is why I posted, and other than Trader and a friend or two, I've gotten no help and little more than insults.
I don't like being insulted.
I've got a couple questions about the suction line, but it is pointless to ask them here. And that is OK, because this is not the only show in town.
Now, I've gotten this far without ever having had anyone work on any of my cars (there is little in a car I haven't done), or any of my electronics, computers or a slew of other things. I'm not recommending that for anyone, but it's how I've gotten through life.
Now, I've got other work to do and I probably won't be following this thread anymore. Why should I?
Jeff