Central A/C Problem : Blower

Unit is approximately 15 years old. A year or so ago they installed a pump to pump out the condensation. I noticed today that the house wasn't very cool so I checked the thermostadt and it's 79 even though it's set for 74. Then I notice the blowers aren't working. I check the unit in the basement and there is water dripping from the unit and the pump doesn't seem to be shooting out any water. I check and see the pilot light is out. I relight it, and a few minutes later the pump turns on and shoots out a load of water, but the blower still isn't working.
It's a chicken and the egg type situation. Did another problem cause the pilot light to go out or did the pilot light go out for some fluky reason and it affected the operation of the pump?
The pump is plugged into a regular outlet, so I assume lighting the pilot and the pump suddenly doing something is coincidence?
Any guesses as to what is going on? When my elderly neighbor had a similar problem (the outside and inside unit ran but no air being blown), the technician tried to walk her through fixing it herself, so I assume there's something fairly simple I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
I should add that when the thermostadt is put in the fan position the inside unit does run and vibrate, but when I go to any of the registers , air is not blowing out.

Sounds like your coil is froze up due to 1) low refrigerant or 2) not enough CFMs (due to dirty filter?). Trying turning the sytem off (in other words, turn from cool to off position) and leave the fan 'on'. Let it run for an hour or so and see if condensation (from the coil melting) starts to fill the pump up.....
Thanks. Filter changed just a week ago. Also, I really don't need it running tonight so if I just leave it off the coil will still melt, right?

Well, yes. If you THINK the fan is running (when set at the 'on' position). If it's NOT running and just humming, just turn evrything off. It should melt overnight.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Where was that condensate going for the 14 years before?
I noticed today that the house

Do you mean you checked the thermometer on the thermostat?
Then I notice the blowers aren't working. I check

Your A/C has a pilot light?
Is it maybe combined with a gas heating system sharing the same air handler and ductwork?

Probably. Maybe you jiggled something enough to cause a slightly stuck float switch on that pump to drop and turn on the pump. You didn't say where that dripping water was coming from or what it was dripping in/on.
Perhaps it was dripping into an overflow pan with that new pump in it and raised the water level to the point where the pump's float switch clicked in.

And, was your neighbor able to fix it?
so

Could be, it generally boild down to being simple once you find out what it is, but you'll probably not be able to locate it If there's a pilot light involved there must be gas there, and a neophyte like you would be better off keeping his hands out of that system to avoid blowing up the place and killing someone.
Sorry, I'm not trying to put you down. You may well know more than I do about some other subjects, but from the way you descibe things, probably not this one.
Call a professional, please.
(Another) Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Thanks. I do call professionals, but I try to be somewhat educated first because I don't want to be ripped off. The condensation used has always emptied via pvc pipe to our laundry tub, but it would occasionally back up and the pan would overflow, so the pump was installed last year. It is a combination gas heater/ air conditioner. Are you saying a lit pilot has nothing to do with air conditioning, just heating?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It certainly shouldn't need to be lit to permit the AC to work.
It could well be an iced up evaporator like several folks have already said. That can happen if a filter gets so clogged that the air flow through the evaporator gets so slow that the coil gets cold enough to ice up.
But you said you changed the filter a week ago, so that isn't likely to be the cause of an iced evaporator.
Try what others have said, leave it off overnight and see if the air flow and cooling returns the next day.
If it does, you still haven't "fixed" anything, becuse things that go away by themselves have a way of coming back by themselves. I'd still get a professional in to check out the charge, even if it starts working again.
Good Luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

So I had a professional just come this morning, and he never even looked at the inside unit, he just checked the outside and saw it needed a major amount of freon, so he filled it to the tune of $125.00. I asked him "Doesn't that mean there's a leak somewhere?" and he said it's a long process involving some kind of dye and a special light and for me to keep an eye on it if the cool air turns lukewarm again. He said the leak could be on the outside too. I just let him go. I am perplexed. Shouldn't he have determined the cause of the leak? Won't it just leak again or does it take years? The unit is 19 years old, by the way. He thought it looked like it was installed in the mid 90s.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

He should have made ever possible effort to locate and fix the leak! That was "NOT" an example of "good practices." - Darrell - udarrell
--
Crank Your Air-Conditioner Up To Specs
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioner-capacity-seer.html

Forgive my ignorance about your system, but what does a pilot light have to do with your air conditioner and/or blower?
If the blower is not running, it could be any number of things. easiest case scenerio: a loose wire or bad capacitor. It could have a bad timer relay. Or (worst case) the blower motor is bad and needs to be replaced..
Don't go out and buy a thermostat thinking that will fix the problem (like a lot of people do). You need to call in a service company. Bad thing is: you will end up paying overtime/weekend rates unless you can wait until Monday.......
It's actually my ignorance about the system. I have no clue what a pilot light is even for! Could someone enlight me?