Central a/c package compressor seized

Greetings, I live in Tampa FL and my central a/c Rheem packaged unit died. Tech said that the compressor seized up. Also said the unit was probably a 7.0 seer unit about 15+ years old. Recommended a compressor replacement or a new packaged unit (2 months ago he repaired a leak in a capillary? tube). I figured that with the age of the unit that I should go with a replacement packaged unit (5 Ton). Recommended a Miller which I never heard of and Internet search turned up zip(amazing). Since I wanted something more known he recommended a Payne (Carrier) 12 seer (fits my wallet). Anyone know anything about the current crop of Payne packaged 12 seer (a/c only) units? Thanks Greyhound
Grey-hound" <grey-hound@"removethis wrote:

It sounds like it is time to replace it. In fact it sounds like you are one repair behind time. :-)
Don't worry about the brand name. Do worry about who is doing the work. It is likely best to stick with their recommendation for your specific needs. A good professional will only recommend good equipment. Many of the name brands you hear about and see advertising for and junk.
I don't know about Miller, but I suspect someone here will and will let you know their opinion so hang in there. However if you trust this guy doing the work, you should be fine.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Grey-hound" <grey-hound@"removethis wrote:

Miller is one of Nordyne's brands designed for manufactured homes.
http://www.millerac.com /
The choice of installer is much more important that the brand of equipment.

known
units?
As the others have said, worry about the installer more than the brand.
HOWEVER!!!
Get at LEAST 3 different QUOTES (not estimates) from three different companies.....

known
units?
Installer is more important!
Get some one that will do a heat gain calculation to size the unit to your home. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!)
Don't just install the same size as you have now (cause it being 15 years old), it is probably oversized.
Oversized units will not only cost you money, but will compromise your comfort.
Also, with you being in a state where you use the A/C most of the time, buy the highest SEER unit you can afford.
~kjpro~

This is Turtle.
The installer is 90% of a good running system and with this said.
Now Miller / frigidaire Sucks on duriability but the 5 ton Miller Package unit will come with a scroll compressor and will put them in the maybe ok ballpark. If it is the lower tonages than a 5 ton they suck.
Carrier / Payne will do but just will say OK I guess.
You might try to get you another Rheem / Ruud but don't give up the good installer.
Miller / Frigidaire / Nordyne / InterTherm / bunch of other names of units made for trailor house use.
Take any brand before you give up a good installer.
TURTLE