Central A/C Coil Outlet Help

On the side of a central A/C coil, the unit that sits above the furnace, there are 2 outlets. One has a tube installed to drain water. The one beside it looks to be open. Beside it, there is a red cap. Does anyone know if the red cap is supposed to be inserted into the

2nd outlet? What is this outlet for?
Reply to
Ian Lee

Is the open outlet slightly higher than the one hooked up, or have a little "dam" in the lower portion of it? It sounds like it is a secondary drain outlet which will drain if the primary stops up. If so, it should be plugged if not used. Is air leaking out of it when the unit is running? Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

???

If you plug up the upper plug, then what happens if the lower one plugs? You get water inside your unit and can rust it out before you know. The small amount of air coming out is not going to make much if any difference.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It is a secondary drain outlet for the condensate water. In California they are required to have it hook up where other states just want to have the primary drain opening connected. You can have it hooked up but I would recommend for you to have a over flow safety device put on the existing drain line so it would shut down the A/C if the drain line plugs up.

Reply to
Moe Jones

It's an over-flow drain. Usually these are piped to the soffit of the house where they are allowed to drip out excess condensate.

Often the primary drain, which usually feeds to a waste vent stack, becomes clogged with algae. Then the condensate drips from this overflow hole and ruins your sheetrock. Sometime the flooring below.

I recommend buying a few lengths of PVC and hooking up this emergency overflow drain.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:48510d6f$0$7691$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Pic is worth 1000 words.

Furnace with AC coil and air handler were there. I think we beat it falling by days...

Reply to
Red Green